Author Topic: How much solids should my 9 month old be getting?  (Read 6713 times)

Offline mlindsey

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How much solids should my 9 month old be getting?
« on: November 11, 2005, 17:37:11 pm »
My 9 month old daughter is eating about 9 oz of solids & about 20 oz of formula per day.  She already weighs about 20 lbs.  Obviously she is getting enough.  but i am just wondering what is the goal for solids at her age.  She is not real consistent with her solid foods...but i don't want to keep pushing her to eat solids if she is eating too much.  she has been waking some at night...& i haven't been feeding her.  But i am just want to make sure she is getting plenty during the day.  THanks for any suggestions.

Offline Susie-Q

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 00:57:39 am »
I'm glad you asked the question.  My 9 month old eats about 12 ounces a day and has about 28 ounces of formula and I thought THAT wasn't enough.  But like you, I don't know what the "average" 9 month old eats.

Offline mlindsey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 05:48:45 am »
yeah...i know that every baby is different...so how do we know?  :)  i just don't want to refuse to feed her during the night if she truly is hungry.  thanks for your input.

Offline gthills

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 12:02:34 pm »
Hey mommies,

Thanks for asking the question.  I didn't realize I'd been thinking the same thing until you asked it.  Eden is almost 10 months and has just this month started showing more interest in solids (especially yogurt & baked squash).  I've only been really tracking the quantities for a couple days but I'd wager a guess that she's taking in 15-20 oz solids.  She's still nursing full time so I have no idea if she's getting enough. AND she's been night waking this past week 2-3 times a NIGHT (unusual).  Is it teething (we can see the top ones coming through)?  Is she hungry?  When I do nurse her once in the night she gobbles it down for a good full feed...so I'm trying to get more calories and nursings in during the day.  One step at a time..anyway, good question and I look forward to anybody's insight on this one! :P

Tara

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 12:40:22 pm »
Hello!
As far as solids go at 9months, at each meal, give him/her as much as he wants/until full.  If you haven't already, try to introduce more table/finger foods.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Susie-Q

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 12:48:07 pm »
Yes, he's not much into baby food but seems to like to eat the gerber puffs and bits of cracker.  When I try to give some soft table food like baked sweet potato, cooked carrot, etc., he acts like it's the most disgusting thing in the world.  So right now he seems only interested in things that crunch.  And as far as the jarred food - about 3 jars a day but he's not always a willing participant.   When he does wake at night, I do feed him and he gobbles down about 7 ounces so I know he's hungry.  But you can only get so many calories in him during the day - if he doesn't want to eat, he wont eat and he slaps away the bottle when he's done.   I think it's a tough age.  The jarred foods don't have many calories or fat grams but he's not yet open to table foods that have more substance so it's tough to figure out .....

Offline mlindsey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 14:04:18 pm »
as far as finger foods...we have tried several things...but Sophia won't really feed herself yet.  she will stick everything else in her mouth but not cheerios!  :)  also, it just doesn't seem like much.  & it takes forever.  She eats the mush pretty good.  i make my own baby food...so it does have some texture to it.  but Sophia never really wants to drink a bottle.  she will only take about 1-2 oz at a time on most days...getting about 3 oz at a feeding.  i guess some days she just eats well & stocks up & then she has days when she's not hungry. 

As far as waking in the night...i think Sophia often wakes from teething too.  i usually try not to feed her & just hold her for a bit.  or if she's just whining, i will wait to see if she will go back to sleep.  but if not i can't get her to go back to sleep after 45 min...then i usually feed her.  i just think since every baby is different, we are never really going to know if they are getting enough during the day.  we can just listen to them...& give them what they want during the day.  & try to listen to what they need at night.  But it is great to hear what others are doing.  Thanks!

Offline Susie-Q

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 16:19:53 pm »
That's funny, I do the same thing.  Wait about a half hour.  If he's still going strong, I will feed him.  He sucks it down so I know it's hunger.  So many people tell me to let him CIO, but if he was waking for a little party time,that would be different.  He's waking because he's hungry. 

I think they need a good combination of high fat solids with protein and their milk.  Right now, Jack is only getting the milk and is very eh-eh on the pureed foods.  I'm trying to introduce finger foods but he's only interested in the puffs and little crackers but I keep trying.  It's a tough age!   But until I know he's getting a good combination of fat and protein from something that will sit in his belly, I'm not going to torture us both by a bunch of CIO episodes.

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 02:31:40 am »
I'm working on getting enough solids into my ds as well, but have no clue what's enough, until the nighttime.  He tends to wake up much more often (and at random times, so I know he's not waking up out of habit) when he hasn't eaten enough.  I know the "I'm hungry" cry and can't imagine ever letting him CIO knowing he was hungry!!!  (edited to add: or ever for that matter)

He started off great over a month ago: he would eat the pureed carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, apples... He eventually decided he didn't like any of it.  He still won't eat even the pureed apples!  Steamed/boiled veggies or fruits? Either won't touch them or takes a few bites and he's done.  He puts it in his mouth, starts to chew and then makes noises like he's going to cough up a hairball (and finally swallows it).  :lol:

About the only thing he eats right now is oatmeal.  I'm just greatful he's eating that, otherwise I'd be nursing the kid every 2 hours and he still wouldn't be full (my milk supply has gone down considerably in the last 2 months so it's not enough).  Since he won't take a bottle I try whatever method to get him to drink the formula - sippy cups, sippy cups with straws, or even drinking straight out of a cup.  He won't drink more than 4 oz in total a day.  Frustrating to say the least.

I know this is a phase so I'm just trying to ride it out without going crazy.  Tomorrow I will introduce boiled sweet potatoes.  I'm hoping giving it to him out of my plate (I'll be eating some, too) will help get more than 2-3 bites in him during lunch.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline CanadianMama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 05:46:09 am »
Hi

My dd Taryn is almost 10 months old and I do not know how much in oz she gets during the day but for breakfast she has two pieces of fruit (eg. an apple and banana or a kiwi and pear) and half a cereal bowl of infant cereal and a bf.  Another bf mid morning and I make my own baby food and freeze it in large ice cube trays so for lunch she usually has 4 ice cubes of vegetables (whatever mix is in the freezer) plus a half bowl of infant cereal and about 2-3 oz of water, then a bf for mid afternoon snack and supper is same as lunch.  Sometimes she is more hungry so if she cries after we're done eating I give her a little bit if fruit (prunes) and that is usually good enough but she rarely doesn't finish what I offer her.

Hopefully that gives you a little more perspective.

Janine
Taryn's Mom

Offline mlindsey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 15:49:57 pm »
wow...4 cubes of veggies at one meal.  that's great.  my daughter has trouble getting down 2 cubes.  i have to often trick her by giving her a bite of fruit then the veggie.  but anyway...that's great & encouraging.  the past few days i've had trouble getting Sophia to take the bottle.  She refuses it (& has been on the bottle for a long time now).  The doctor says her reflux maybe getting worse.  so we are going to try to increase her meds & see if that helps.  anyway, this means that she has been waking about 4x in the night.  i have gone ahead & fed her at midnight & been trying to hold off until at least 6am.  but then she's not really hungry...even at 6am or after she wakes.  She has only eaten 13 oz today...& we will still have trouble getting her to eat if she wakes up or in the morning. 

well, thanks again for the perspective on what others are eating.

Offline Thulanismum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 13:49:21 pm »
Well - it seems a lot of us are having the same struggles - which is encouraging - tho' I was looking for answers! My 9 month old ate well for a few weeks when he was 7 months or so and then got ill with bronchilitis - after 2 episodes of that and several more colds he has never got back in the swing! health visitors in the UK are encouraging us to cut back on breastfeeding, but I don't think he's getting enough solids - he's now waking twice at night at least and sometimes for 2 hours a go!  I've been breastfeeding at night and he drains both breasts - so somethings going badly wrong!  He eats about half of the amount mentioned in the last posting on a good day and on a bad day maybe a couple of spoonfulls per meal. He's a large baby (24lbs) but is not putting on weight as he should...I'm not so worried re his weight as the sleepless nights - then the health visitors say don't get stressed re him not eating - hmm try the sleepless nights and then say that!

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 16:17:46 pm »
Hi,

My son is 9.5 months old and Im having the same feeding problems. It's really hard for him to drink his bottle, he will drink 3-4 oz with no problem but then just wants to sit up and play around, so I wait a couple of mins and then get him to lie down on the carpet and show him all kinds of toys while he drinks the milk. I aim for 6 oz and usually he drinks 5-6 oz.

I know Im not forcing him since he always opens his mouth and drinks, it's more like he gets bored and wants to play. Also my nipple has 3 small holes and it is for a 6 month old. Should I change it to a bigger nipple? Any recommendations? He doesn't really like the sippy cup.

He has also been teething for the last month or so. He has 6 teeths now. So he drinks about 17-18 oz a day, just 3 bottles, I try to give him one before bedtime but will usually refuse it or drink 2-3 oz. Also bedtime is so close to his dinner that I think he is to full to drink anything. He can only be up for 3 hours before bedtime, I think his awake time is too short. He usually goes to bed at 6:30 pm.

He has about 6.5 oz of solids about 6 frozen cubes 3 times a day. So he has his milk first and then 1 hour later his solids. Plus I give him finger foods like raisins, bread, pees, cheese, etc. So why is he still waking up at night? Isnt this enough? He drinks at night like a maniac, like he hasnt eaten in days. So just like you guys I try to give him more food, specially milk but he just wont take it. Also he has a litlle bit of water with his meals. He eats every 3.5 - 4 hours. Is this ok?

He eats everything, peas, lentils, beans, chicken, all veggies and fruit, I dont even cook the fruit, he eats them raw. Yougurt, cheese, bread, cereal, etc.

I just wish he didn't wake up in the middle of the night no more, I just sleep so bad and cant fall asleep when he wakes up so often. He also cries a lot while sleeping 2-3 times a night but usually falls asleep on his own again. Do your babies do this too?

Thanks for reading.

Offline Susie-Q

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 17:21:20 pm »
Quote from: a_astorga
Hi,

He has also been teething for the last month or so. He has 6 teeths now. So he drinks about 17-18 oz a day, just 3 bottles, I try to give him one before bedtime but will usually refuse it or drink 2-3 oz. Also bedtime is so close to his dinner that I think he is to full to drink anything. He can only be up for 3 hours before bedtime, I think his awake time is too short. He usually goes to bed at 6:30 pm.

I can't offer much help because I'm in the same boat.   My boy will only drink about 3 ounces or so before bed also.  Then he's up 3 hours later and guzzles down a full bottle.  I keep thinking if I could get him to drink more before bed, he would last longer.  I try to give him dinner about 3 hours before his bedtime bottle (like you, he only stays up about 3 hours before bed) but even that's not enough time.  He could be full or he could just be too tired to be bothered.   But three hours later, he's up sucking down a full bottle. 

As far as finger foods, he sounds like he's doing great.  He's eating some things with some substance - chicken, cheese, yogurt - your lucky!  But it's just little bits - maybe you just have to wait it out until his stomach gets a little bigger to get some more in.   9 months is not uncommon to still be giving a bottle in the night.

Offline nicb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 20:19:53 pm »
Here's what my 10.5 month old DD eats, and she's been eating this amount since she was about 8.5 to 9 months old. I don't measure, so I'm not sure of ounces, but:
breakfast - about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of rice cereal, 3 tbsp diced fruit and 1/2 piece of toast
lunch - 2 or 3 thin slices of cheese, 1/2 baby mum-mum, 1 small mini-go yoghurt, 3 tbsp diced fruit, and some sort of "main course" such as a half an organic waffle, a small muffin, a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of baked beans or pasta mixed with veg
dinner - 1/3 cup of main course - homemade soup, mixture of pasta with chopped meat or veggie meatball mixed with veggies & parmesan,   3 tbsp diced fruit, often a half a Farley biscuit or a few large tablespoons of cottage cheese
- I also give her a snack at 11am - a few ounces of formula and an arrowroot bisuit
- I also BF an hour before breakfast, 2 hours before dinner and an hour after dinner (I'm going to change the one 2 horus before dinner to a drink and snack soon)
- she is offered formula and /or water with each meal too - she usually takes about 1 to 1.5 ounces of liquid with each meal
- I give her formula in a little Rubbermaid container with straw - she doesn't like bottles, and while I give her water in a sippy, I find she can't "chug" enough from her sippy at snack time, so I use the straw instead - she takes more.

Hope that helps!
Nic
Mum to Madelyn - January 7, 2005