Author Topic: wanting to stop the snacking (from reflux)  (Read 1312 times)

Offline mlindsey

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
wanting to stop the snacking (from reflux)
« on: November 11, 2005, 17:51:38 pm »
Our daughter is 9 months old & has silent reflux.  She has been on zantac since she was 2 months.  She is now eating solids pretty good (about 9 oz per day)...but she is still having trouble drinking her formula(but is getting 20 oz...because we are still giving her a dream feed...which we also want to stop).  The doctor told us to feed her smaller meals more requently...but now she has developed a habit of snacking.  It sometimes takes her 2 hours to finish a 4 oz bottle.  So at a meal should we stop feeding her after 20min & refuse to give her any more?  I'm afraid that this will cause her to eat less & wake during the night.  But i really want to cut out the snacking.  & usually an hour after we offer the bottle she will get fussy & want to eat more.  Could it be that she is getting too many feedings?  & that we just need to drop the dream feed?  Should we have her reflux checked again or talk to the doctor about having her prescription increased?  It's funny but some days she will eat 4 oz all at once with no problem.  so i'm not sure what it is.  occassionally, i will even try to distract her while feeding her (walk her around, let her watch a baby video, etc)...whatever i can to get her stomach used to a full feeding.  Well, probably by the time we get this worked out she will be off formula.  :)  Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
wanting to stop the snacking (from reflux)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 00:17:01 am »
If you think her reflux is under control at the moment you could slowly decrease the amount at the dream feed and try adding the calories during the day. It's hard to say but from what you've said I would suspect she is used to eating smaller amounts. When she wants to eat again could you try distraction to start stretching the time out slowly and in increments? Is there any other symptoms to make you suspect a med increase is in order? I would work on the df and try to add those calories into the daytime feeds even if it means continuing what you are doing. Kwim? Work on eliminating the df first and see if that helps her take more at the day feeds.

I hope that's some help... dd has reflux too but never really became a snacker. She would always overeat instead!  :roll:  :lol:

Keep us posted.

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008