Author Topic: HELP!! is this a growth spurt how do i cope??  (Read 872 times)

Offline sally & savannah

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP!! is this a growth spurt how do i cope??
« on: November 11, 2005, 20:54:53 pm »
HELP!!!!

savannah is now 5 months old, she has had a cold for the last fortnight and not been eating very well, but for the past 3 days she has been guzzling non stop.  Today she had had 8 feeds - 9 when i go and give her d/f!!!! I am absolutly exhaused and drained.  How long should this last for?? will my boobs be overflowing tomorrow??? :? I know i should feed on demand still and my milk will catch up, but she seemed absolutly STARVED  today - just my luck that i started my xmas shopping so had to keep finding places to stop and discreetly feed ( not easy every hour)

She has been on solids since 17wks, maybe i'm not giving her enough?!?!?

Thanks for any advice
a very tired and drained mummy :(

annamum

HELP!! is this a growth spurt how do i cope??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 22:45:29 pm »
Hi,

She probably needs to catch up after being not well and not eating enough. Your supply probably went down when she was not comfortable to nurse. Also, she may be going through a growth spurt, they tend to happen at around 6 months mark but my dd had one at 5.5 months.

If this is a growth spurt or if your dd is just working to get your supply back to normal, it should be pretty much over within a few days. Have you had her previously on some kind of a routine? If so, she should be back on track within a few days, so you can get some break.

I would really go with a flow at this moment, make sure you drink enough water and have nutritious meals. Have your dh pitch in during a weekend so you can relax a little, as a nursing mom you need an extra rest.

As for solids, my opinion is that they babies don't need them before 6 months anyway, so I wouldn't increase solids. If you already give them, just don't offer more, you need to get your supply up, at least if you plan to nurse past 6 months :lol:.