Author Topic: Does everybody go to Mommy Classes  (Read 2350 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Does everybody go to Mommy Classes
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:54:12 am »
There's a great mommy group in my area, but the problem is it is at 10:30am.  Right in the middle of naptime.  So I hardly ever make it.  I wonder about the other moms, and if their babies are tired and crabby like mine would be.  But it seems like their babies are all fine, and it's just one more thing.  For me, getting out an ddealing with a fussy baby isn't my idea of a good time though.  The social part I love, it's just getting to that point that is really difficult.

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 02:55:51 am »
We have done LaLeche League once a month for the past few months but that's it so far. I would like to add something else just for me to get out of the house and socialize, but I am not sure how Caeden will do.......
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 03:38:43 am »
i did not with my first one.  if it was nap time then we were home.  HOWEVER, with my second often our playgroups were during her nap.  we went so my son could get his energy out...she napped in the bjorn on me or in the car seat shaded somewhere.  she was fine.  both were horrible nappers.  so staying home did not make my son a better napper.  being out and about did not make my daughter a great napper. 

only you can decide on your child's temperament about going.  maybe try it and see what happens?  or if the child goes to sleep before you go then don't that week....but if awake one week, go and see what happens.  it's one day.  and you might find it to be ok.

my kids go to a moms day out program and it goes way past my daughters normal naptime.  but she has fun. she is quieter the last hour and crashes when i pick her up in the car.....but it's ok.  she gets a lot out of it.  and i get some rest, lol.  it is good for her to learn to deal with times that aren't perfect.  it's ok to break the normal routine sometimes.  i never did with my son and he is very particular now.  i have to really warn him about change.....so take the chance....if it doesn't work out(and it may not) then you try again in a few months.  good luck
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:30:28 am »
i had the same problem with alex - when everyone else form my mothers group was doing gym and swim classes at her nap time i did not join in - i found around 8 mo old she had such a regular routine that i was able to find classes that worked to HER schedule instead of the other way around.  either keep looking for something that fits your day routine or wait a little longer and when ds is awake for longer stretches you can fit in a class and lunch and then nap time etc
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 04:44:37 am »
I go regularly to the classes avalible here. I try to go only to the ones my LO is not napping for, not hard since she's very predictable now. Do they not offer classes at different times there? We have multiple times we can go to the same class to try and accomidate (sp?) all the moms. Maybe thats something you can suggest to them. The classes are great for both baby and mommy :) They help me stay sain.. I need adult contact :-P hubby's gone to much :( so if I don't go out then I'm cooped up with DD all alone and that can be a challenge, especially when she's in her fussy mood.
Kimberly

Offline alison toms mum

• Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 06:50:36 am »
We go to a classs during toms nap time on a thursday, and although he gets a bit grizzly toward the end (and so do many of the other babies) he really enjoys it. There is no choice around here, only one group or nothing. When we first went he was on 3 hr easy and it didnt fall in nap time , but now it does, and althogh id prefer it not to i really need to keep going, as it is the highlight of my week, the hv is there to weigh tom and it stops me getting too down. I wouldnt go if it started effecting his routine, but it doesnt seem to cause a problem and he still gets 1 hr nap!
Remember Tracey herself said you need to look after yourself as well as your baby to be a good mummy! :wink:
Alison

Offline Mia & Scarlett's Mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Me and my girls (on a tidy day!)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 10:45:11 am »
At the moment dd is 3.5 months and gets crabby after an hour of activity time so I just take her to baby clinic.  That's the highlight of my week!
Louise -  Mom to Mia Alison born 19.08.05 
Our beautiful english rose and textbook/spirited baby.
New Mom to lovely Scarlett Grace - textbook/touchy

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 09:53:20 am »
we have been going since my baby was 5mo and have the exact same problem.  we have to leave at 10.15am, right in the middle of naptime.

i figure it is worth is for him because he really loves it, so i just get him up after an hour for the group (once a week).  as he gets older, we wakes at 10.30am anways, so he's not missing that much sleep.  i try to get him down for his morning nap 15 min early on those days and i put him down for an extra catnap later in the day to compensate.

i don't think i'd do the group if he had to miss a nap completely because then my day would seem yery, very long.  all the same, i wonder if i am the only one in the group whose baby takes a morning nap or why the class has been scheduled so strangely.  huh.