Author Topic: from breast to bottle  (Read 1079 times)

Offline ginger

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2005, 03:35:04 am »
I have just spent the past hour reading the above posts regarding getting bf babies to take bottles.  Many of the themes sound familiar for us.  My dd will be 20 weeks on Sunday and is bf exclusively.  We gave her the occasional bottle in the early weeks and she took it no problem.  Then we had no need for bottles in her third month.  Recently, I started a part - time waitressing job 2 nights a week, 4 hour shifts each.  The first two nights dd refused the bottle of formula from dh so he put her to bed and she slept, either until I got home or until early morning hours.  So far, this has been okay because he will call me at work if she wakes hungry before I'm home and the restaurant will let me leave.  However, I am sensing that they expect me to close the restaurant since the other waitress works a long shift and that will prevent me from leaving until all customers are gone, which means dd could wake hungry and have to wait till I get home.  I am mostly concerned about this because she is only 10lbs, weighed 6.9lbs when born, so is a slow gainer (and currently nurses 4-6 times a day).  I'm pretty sure a baby will eat from a bottle when hungry enough, but I don't want this to affect her weight gain.  Am I being overly paranoid?  Shoud we try giving her a bottle every night or every other night so she is used to it on the nights I work?  Sorry about the long post, any advice is most appreciated.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
from breast to bottle
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:16:55 pm »
I think trying her with a bottle more regularly might help her get used to it.  But also, even if she gets shortchanged one feed out of all of them during the day, it shouldn't affect her weight gain - she'll make up for it next feed, you'll see!  Will you be able to pump when you get home to make up for the lost feed?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline ginger

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 16:13:17 pm »
I actually do not own a pump and have never expressed milk.  The times I have left her with a bottle, we gave her formula.  Will it affect my supply if I skip a feed with her every once and a while?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
from breast to bottle
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 15:21:43 pm »
Depends on your supply overall.  Many moms manage to supplement with an occasional bottle of formula with no effect on supply, but the risk is there.  Any time you're giving your lo something else, it tells your breasts that they don't need to produce for that feed.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha