Author Topic: Snacking & Snoozing? Very sleepy after 5 min bf  (Read 2371 times)

Offline shabec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Snacking & Snoozing? Very sleepy after 5 min bf
« on: November 12, 2005, 05:08:55 am »
My 11 week old DS breastfeeds for only 5 minutes at most feeds, then becomes very sleepy, despite my very best efforts and trying to keep him awake and interested in feeding.  This seems to see him through the night from about 7pm thru til between 2-3am (& sometimes 5am!), but daytimes he only seems to last about 2-2.5 hrs between feeds (mostly the ones between lunch and bedtime). Sometimes massage of my breast helps to stimulate suckling but only momentarily.  He wakes quite well when I burp him after the 5 min, and I usually put him back on the same breast, but he's only generally interested in using my nipple as a dummy!  I know there is milk in there, because it squirts out when I squeeze the nipple.  However, if I switch sides, he's back into the vigorous sucking again, but only for max 5 min.  I am concerned that because he is not emptying the first breast, that he's not getting the calorie-rich hind milk, hence the frequent daytime feeds! Your thoughts...

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 08:45:05 am »
OK, I will be very interested to see others' replies, but...  I think that sounds ok.  Feeding that frequently during the day is pretty normal (especially in the evening when your supply is lower) and he is obviously getting enough to last a good long stretch overnight.  Babies do become more efficient as they get bigger, and some babies only drink for 5min each side.  They also never actually technically 'empty' a breast - there will always be more there.  You may try and leave him on the first breast for a bit longer (if he's happy), and you might get another let-down (which might be what he is waiting for).

How is his weight gain?  Wet nappies?

Anyway, I'm sure some more expert people than me will reply!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:14:39 pm »
I think I would have said pretty much exactly what Denise said!  :D As long as the weight gain is good, then it's likely ok.  2 - 2.5 hrs is fine for many bf babies. He might be a bit of a lazy sucker, prefering the breast when it's really full and the flow is quickest.  Putting him back on the same breast and doing the breast compression is a great idea before switching sides.  Is he sleeping well during the day, and could he be tired from not enough naps in the daytime?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline shabec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 01:06:59 am »
Thanks Denise & Erin - it is comforting to hear that short feeds could be "normal" for us.  His weight gain seems to be OK, putting on 200g per week average, and plenty of wet nappies during the day mainly.   I agree with you Erin about the "Lazy sucking" - I suspect that it exactly what he is doing! getting the easy stuff...
Re: daytime naps.  He has only in the last week or so started to have a decent morning nap of about 2-2.5 hours, then things turn to custard after lunch, and we have a struggle getting any further decent naps from him - he is a true Spirited baby, and I think he just wants to be part of the action.  I wondered myself whether lack of daytime sleep was causing him not to feed so well, but have tried almost everything to get him to nap properly - I guess this just takes time huh?

Offline Sandrine

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 04:19:46 am »
I had the hardest time to get dd2 to nurse more than 10min on one side since she was born. You usually hear that newborn takes up to 45min on one side and so i was worried but it seems that it was just how she was. She used to last a long time too in between and she gained well, so i stop worrying.

HTH
Sandrine
DD1 Dec 2002 Textbook
DD2 March 2004 Textbook
DD3 July 12 2006 Textbook/spirited
NEW DS March 7th 2011 Not sure yet but seems touchy

Offline millieh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 20:44:16 pm »
My nearly 5 week old BB does exactly the same, he feeds vigorously for about 5 mins then tends to dose off.  He also does not tend to sleep in the afternoon.  I was worried about it but I can see from above that it's quite normal, this makes me feel much better. :)

Offline shabec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 20:51:28 pm »
HI Millieh
I have found the wake to sleep method absolutely brilliant for training my son in how to nap.  We have even been getting some very good afternoon naps since we started using this method.  I guess it could partly be his age (11 weeks yesterday), which is improving things, but the wake to sleep method is worth a go.  I know how incredibly frustrating it is to have a baby that won't nap!  GOOD LUCK!

Offline millieh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 22:04:07 pm »
Hi Shabec,
I'm very new at this, what is the 'wake to sleep' method

Offline shabec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 22:39:22 pm »
Here is a link for info on wake to sleep http://babywhisperer.com/forum/wake-to-sleep-for-naps-vt43311.html, that I was pointed to.  It takes a bit of trial and error I found, to sometimes figure out the start point, but definately worth a go...

Offline lindsp

• Showing Appreciation 0
Breast feeding
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 23:29:20 pm »
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one having the same problem. I have a four week old BF baby and he also does the same thing. He only feeds on the one side for about 5-7 mins and then falls asleep. His weight gain is not an issue at all, but I do find that in the last couple of days he is waking up every hr. to an hr and half during the day to feed. I try putting him back on the same breast but he gets frustrated and the same thing goes if I try the other side.  Good luck everyone!