Author Topic: HELP with EASY needed 5 week old  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Monijaye

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2005, 09:20:50 am »
I have been trying to use the EASY routine with my 5 week old DS.  We implemented it much later for our DD and it seemed to fall into place no problem.  He is formula fed and his routine is to feed between 4.30AM and 6AM, he wakes 4 hours later for a feed, we wake him 4 hours after that feed (he previously slept for 6 hours between these feeds)he has one more feed sometime between 4PM and 5PM.  He then has a dreamfeed at 9PM wakes again at around 1AM or 2AM for his next feed.   

The problem is when we wake him around 1PM for a feed he does not settle until we feed him again in about 2 - 3 hours.  He becomes more and more stimulated during this time and is very upset.  I have tried shh/pat for ages with no effect.  This is the only feed we need to wake him.  I am worried that because this is the feed we wake him on this is what is causing him to be so unsettled.   

I know babies will often have a wakeful period so my other thought is that this is just his wakeful time.  If so, what strategies can you use to get through this time for both of us.   

I hope this makes sense.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Adele
DP Monique

DD Baeleigh 11 October 2003
DS Caden 5 October 2005

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
HELP with EASY needed 5 week old
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 12:47:32 pm »
He's still pretty little - most times the 4hr routine is suggested closer to 16 weeks, but if the 4hr works, then no problem  :D   But if he is hungrier earlier, after 2-3 hrs then definitely feed him.  It may even be a growth spurt.  For the 1pm feeding, you can try letting him sleep an extra 1/2 hour before waking him.  Maybe he needs just a **little** extra sleep.  Sounds like he's doing great overall!!  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Monijaye

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 20:25:45 pm »
Thanks so much Noelle

He seems very settled on the 4 hour routine apart from the afternoons but I do feed him after 2 or 3 hours if he is hungry, maybe 1 or 2 times per day he will go 3 hours between feeds.  We tried yesterday letting him sleep an extra 30 minutes at his 1PM feed and unfortunately the evening was just as awful.  I am very tempted to let him wake naturally and see what happens.  Is this not recommended because he may start to confuse his day with his night if he sleeps too long? 

Adele
Adele
DP Monique

DD Baeleigh 11 October 2003
DS Caden 5 October 2005

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
HELP with EASY needed 5 week old
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 19:43:07 pm »
I would go ahead and let him sleep and see how long he goes on his own.  You should be able to tell in 2-3 days if it is going to cause earlier wakes time in the morning.  With a long afternoon  nap, you might have to move the bedtime a little later if he's not tired yet.  I wouldn't think it should switch his days a nights around  :D

wanted to add too that its very common for the afternoon/early evening to be a cranky period, especially between 0-3 months  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom