Author Topic: my child wont go sleep after fireworks  (Read 1154 times)

Offline lisad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:30:23 pm »
HI I NEED SOME ADVICE ON 15MTH SON.HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A GREAT SLEEPER BUT UNFORTUNATELY SINCE BONFIRE NIGHT HE WILL NOT GO TO SLEEP.HE SEEMS SCARED TO GO TO BED AND I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL METHODS OF TRYING TO GET HIM TO SLEEP SUCH AS CONTROLLED CRYING(ONLY MADE HIM WORSE)CHANGING BEDROOMS(AS I EXPECTING ANOTHER CHILD HE WILL BE GOING IN A DIFFERENT ROOM EVENTUALLY)AND NOW STAYING WITH HIM TIL HE FALLS ASLEEP.
THAT SEEMS TO WORK GETTING HIM TO SLEEP BUT WHEN HE WAKES WHICH IS ALOT HE FINDS US NOT THERE HE GOES WILD.WHEN WE RETURN TO HIM IF ITS ME HE CAN BE AWAKE FOR HOURS BCOS HE HIS GETTING TO THE CLINGY STAGE.SORRY TO GO ON I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.HOPE YOU CAN ADVISE ME SOMEHOW????LISA

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
my child wont go sleep after fireworks
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 14:45:10 pm »
Hi there,

I think I would take a few steps back and work on getting his trust that when you leave - you will be back whilst also working on getting him comfortable in his new room.

You can start by making his new room as familiar as his old room and if you haven't brought everything of his into his new room yet, I would do that. I would also put some time aside each day to play in his room and also in his crib - he needs to start associating his crib with positive feelings, whereas at the moment he may be a little scared of it because of the fireworks and controlled crying. Start by playing with him in his crib and if he looks like he is going to get upset - distract him like mad! If he does get upset - comfort him...keep on doing this until you are able to put him in his cot with some toys and then do something else in his room (and in his view) and he is happy with that. Once you have reached that stage, you can start telling him that you just need to pop to the airing cupboard and that you will be right back - and leave the room, just for a few seconds and come straight back.

By doing this you are working on building his trust that when yu leave you will return. It may also be worth introducing a stuffed toy or lovey at this age that you can give him when you are popping out of the room for example 'Honey, Mummys just got to put some clothes away, heres bunny to stay with you.' If you do this every time you leave him - be it in his cot or even when you are popping in the kitchen from the lounge, it will reinforce it.

I would work on getting his trust back up to a level where he is comfortable in his new room and his cot before attempting any sleep training. For the time being - when he is going to bed or down for a nap, give him his toy/lovey and tuck him in and use your voice to reassure him that everything is ok, its just sleepy time.

When you see that he is more confident at spending time alone and in his room, then you can use PU/PD to aid him to get to sleep on his own. I would use a variation of PU/PD and just use the PD part to save your back - PU/PD is tough enough with a toddler, but when your pregnant it can be pretty tough.

To use PU/PD do his normal bedtime routine, give him his toy, tuc him in and tell him its bedtime and then if he gets upset - reassure him with your voice - its ok hunny, its just sleep time...' wait until he stands up and then lay him back down straight away and repeat tucking him in etc..

You may have to do this a fair few times - I can remember losing count past 150 PU/PDs with Mads when she was a similar age  :roll:  but keep at it - it does work! You will be able to see him get tired, as he will start to just sit up instead of stand up and again, any time he sits, just lay him back down and repeat tucking him in etc..

Keep doing this for naps also and we found that Mads caught on pretty quick after the first night.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Dee
x