Author Topic: Will I have any luck with a sippy cup?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Carina's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Will I have any luck with a sippy cup?
« on: November 12, 2005, 13:30:17 pm »
My BF baby has never had a bottle.  I tried at about 4 weeks, 2 months, and now at 4 1/2 months.  She's not refusing but just can't seem to figure it out.  I am at home with her this year, so it hasn't been too hard to just BF exclusively.

But it would be nice to have a little freedom someday.  I have heard that at 6 months you can start them on a sippy cup.  I have been thinking of just waiting until 6 months and doing that. But will I have any luck--or is a little freedom a more distant dream?

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 14:57:24 pm »
Hi!

You may want to start with the Nuby brand (soft spout)  It's kind of like a nipple but not reall a bottle if that makes sense.  It's easier for them to extract liquid rather than the regular sippy.  As for whether your babe will take milk from it is a different story.  Our son (almost 9 months) drinks water out of this.  I haven't tried ebm in it yet as I am still on maternity leave for a couple more months so nursing is easier for me.  Once your baby starts solids on a regular basis, you probably won't find nursing as demanding and you'll get the break you need! I felt like you before and now I wish our bf sessions were longer and more often...things change once solids are introduced!  Good luck with the sippy!  By the way, your baby won't hold the sippy on her own for a while so don't get discouraged.   Also some people recommend not giving water from a sippy if your goal is to have them drink milk from it as they may only associate the cup with water and not milk....seems reasonable but we haven't gotten to that point yet!  Good luck! :lol:

Zelka

Offline Carina's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 15:39:16 pm »
Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it goes...

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 15:30:50 pm »
I also started with sippy cups at around 6 months with water, then EBM.  Once I found the Nuby soft spout, things got much better fast.  Now I can't seem to pump enough to satisfy her EBM wants at daycare with that cup!!  :roll:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha