Author Topic: dream feed question  (Read 1272 times)

Offline gingernutlover

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2005, 15:28:28 pm »
have tried to dreamfeed dd twice now, first time took 2 ounces and second she woke up, still took some milk and went back to sleep but wondering if anyone who has done it has managed to get baby to take a reaonable amount, should I keep trying?

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
dream feed question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 23:35:02 pm »
How old is your dd?
My ds takes a full 8 oz.  He is over 5 mos, and nearly 20lbs though.
He did have a brief adjustment period with the DF.  Keep trying - how is she sleeping?
L

Offline gingernutlover

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 08:16:46 am »
shew is 9 weeks and normally takes 5oz (sometimes less) each feed, she sleeps from 7 to 7 ish waking for early morning feed and I DF at 10pm, last night she slept right through with a DF only  :D I will keep trying with the df i think as now she is only up the once in the night mostly I can manage to stay up til 10pm so may as well spend time doing it.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
dream feed question
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 08:25:50 am »
with olivia we had such a huge range of Df amounts but it seemed that little extra is what helped her sleep through - sometimes she took as little as 2 oz her average was 3-4 oz and occassionally she has taken 6-7 oz.  we found that once she was sleeping through the night regularly as long as she had 4 oz she would sleep til almost 7, on nights when she took 2-3 oz she would generally wake at 6:15 - 6:30 so although it seems like a waste, every little bit helps some babies.

we have become so reliant on the Df though that we are only now trying to do without it - she is sleeping through the night still but yesterday woke at 5:45 and today 6:15 so i am praying at almost 9 mo we can finally call it a night  :D  at 7:30pm instead of 10-10:30

also - we never worried if she woke during the Df as she woudl go right back to sleep (only worry if you have a lo who wil wake up and then be up for ages with you struggling to resettle)  - also know that they can go through a period where they wake before the DF looking for food - i woudl just feed them and if they take a good amount don't worry.  if let's say they only take 2 oz at 9pm we found we could then go in before bed around 10:30 and just top her up with a 2nd DF and she would take another 2-4 oz
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline gingernutlover

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 10:17:28 am »
thankyou for the advice, will carry on with the dreamfeeding and see what happens, just feeling grateful for the sleep I do get at the moment and it seems every little does help :)

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
dream feed question
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 12:48:34 pm »
I found that when Liam was still getting up at 2 for a feed that it was very helpful to have DH do the DF.  That way I would go to bed after his last feed, and could sleep until his 2 am feed.  Being able to get more than a couple of hours in a row at least allows you to remain human in the first few months. :wink:   Liam was about 2 months when he started going right through :D .  I will keep my fingers crossed for you .  When he was about 9 weeks he would take about 4 oz or so.  It certainly does help.  He does wake from time to time, but always goes right back.
Good Luck!
L