Author Topic: Dropping Feeds Question  (Read 1219 times)

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Dropping Feeds Question
« on: November 12, 2005, 18:52:16 pm »
Hi, this question is kind of a weaning one aswell but I want to know what other exclusivly BF mums did/are doing. DS has been on solids for a month or so and is doing v.well  this is roughly what and when he eats each day:

E - 6.00- BF (back to sleep for a nice lay in  )
8.00 - Normally Two Weetabix and Fruit Puree
A - 8.30 - Bathtime etc
S - 10.00 - Nap
E - 12.00 - BF, Veggie then Fruit
A - 13.00 - Going Out Time
S - 14.00 - Nap
E - 17.00 - BF, Veggie then Fruit
A - 19.00 - Bedtime
S - 22.00 - BF

I make my own food and the size of portion that his veg and fruit is in is a little bit larger than those large jars you can buy. We have been going along like this for weeks now and I am happy and he is happy. I then saw the health visitor who asked how weaning was going and had he dropped any BF yet, I told her that he hadnt and he ate three really good meals aswell. She said that I should start to think about dropping the luchtime BF and went on further to say that as DS was such a keen eater I would probally have to force him drop it :shock: .Is this true? It seems a bit mean to me, I thought he would eventually drop it by himself besides which I love nursing him :cry:  He wont drink very well from a sippy cup so this is his only proper fluid intake. I dont understand why him still nursing would be seen as a bad thing, is she concerned that DS will get fat? She neednt because DS is v.skinny compared to all his bottle fed freinds even though they all eat half of what he does! What have you guys gone through as far as dropping feeds is concerned?

Nome
X
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Dropping Feeds Question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 15:27:37 pm »
HUH?????! :shock: Where do some of these health visitors get their information???  Milk is the most important source of nutrition for the first year. I can't imagine why at SIX MONTHS you would want to drop a bf! I can't put it any plainer than that I think she's NUTS! 4 bfs at 6 months is great - he'll probably keep that many feeds for some months yet, in fact.  Keep up the very good work and trust your instincts!  :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

Dropping Feeds Question
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 18:32:38 pm »
I agree with Erin, the health visitor was nuts :evil: . Keep nursing 4 times a day as it is now and it should be that way for a few more months. He needs your milk to be his main source of nutrition till he is one year old.

Offline Sandrine

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Dropping Feeds Question
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 19:12:07 pm »
Ditto what the others said. Bm is really important in the first yr. Well, milk in general is.

When do you want to wean?? now? at 1yr? or later? If now, then you need to replace the bf with at least a bottle of formula. He is way too young still to just depends on solids as solids should be consider as a experience for them.

Continue the great job of bf your child. You are giving the best.
Sandrine
DD1 Dec 2002 Textbook
DD2 March 2004 Textbook
DD3 July 12 2006 Textbook/spirited
NEW DS March 7th 2011 Not sure yet but seems touchy

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Dropping Feeds Question
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 19:21:15 pm »
Go with what you think is best, HV don't know everything for YOUR child.  They don't even know him.  They are going by the book. 

If he is happy to give up, then he will, don't force him. Just lie and say "yeah I dropped the lunchtime BF" and leave it at that.

Just follow your own instincts.   :)
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Dropping Feeds Question
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 19:42:58 pm »
Thanks Ladies! I think I shud of guessed my HV was nuts when whe told me at 6weeks that I shud not be swaddling DS anymore, 6 months down the line and I still do it  :wink:  I checked it out with my MIL (also a HV) and she said that I shud carry on for as long as I want which is until, as I am TTC, I have to for the next baby or until DS doesnt want to anymore. I cant see him not wanting to, he is v.keen :D  I am looking forward to having my own little expert to help me when I become engorged, beats the pump any day of the week! :D So watch this board mums who are/have BF whilst pregnant becuase I'll be needing some more advice :wink:

Nome
X
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06