Author Topic: Is it worth the fight?  (Read 880 times)

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Is it worth the fight?
« on: November 12, 2005, 22:29:57 pm »
This may be a long one ladies....
I'm not sure if the fight is worth my energy. I have a 3 mo DS who I started on BW while on ML but I'm back at work and he's in daycare during the day. I was able to establish a good EASY routine and his put-downs to bed are really great. But....he doesn't nap at all during the day at school, maybe 4 or 5 20 minute naps throughout the day. I would be really worried, but he easily goes down at 6:15-6:30 and sleeps until I wake him in the morning around 5:45...if left to his own, he sleeps until 0700 or so and he's in a good mood. He hasn't woken for a night feed for about 2 weeks adn has 5 EBF feeds a day. I know the nap pattern is horrible. Today he has 2 45-60 minute naps and currently is approaching 1 1/2 hours....but he hasn't been fussy all day? Could my child just not need long naps? Initially I thought it was the daycare environment and as he adapted to it, he would start sleeping better there. Part of me isn't too concerned....hoping as he grows into 4 hour EASY he will consolidate into 2 good naps. Or is his poor napping now a predictor for BIG problems down the road....i guess that's my question?? SHould I fight the 45 min nap now...or wait until he shows signs that he needs better napping??? Sorry for the length.
Jeni

Offline wilsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
is it worth the fight?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 03:35:08 am »
HI Jeni,
Im experiencing a similar situation with my 5 month old who until 10 days ago was having 3 x 2 hour day time sleeps.  He now wakes after 45 minutes and is quite difficult to get back to sleep (he doesn't cry but just lies there, wriggles and grizzles).  I don't have any answers but just wanted to say that I am also very interested to see whether it is worth persisting with the resettling as it's getting harder and harder and I too am just wondering whether to go with the flow and let him have is 45 minute naps.
Anyone out there who can shed any light??????

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Is it worth the fight?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 04:16:11 am »
Well, i will try to shed some light...you have two totally different situations here.

jbepko - i am not sure there is much can you do unless you can get day care on board w/ you.  If your love is happy during the day and sleeping well at night, there maybe nothing that needs to be done here.

Wilsmom - that is a different issue.  What is your lo's schedule?  I would continue w/ the resettling but also increase his A time 15min every 3 days.  IMO/experience - the short naps for LOs over 4mos are caused by not having a long enough awake time.

Hope that helps.