Author Topic: Need help extending 5 mo old naps  (Read 1003 times)

Offline butterflyes3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2005, 22:44:40 pm »
Hello everyone,
  I am new to this site, and am on day five and night four of pat/shh PUPD combo weaning my little guy from sleeping in the sling or on my breast. I have read Traci's sleep ineterview which was very helpful, but I could use some feedback about helping push Jackson past the 45 minute mark for his naps. The first few days he took to like a champ and I could just resettle him with patting or the binky and he slept almost two hours the second day. A miracle! Now yesterday he wouldn't resettle except once, so today I extended his awake time by 15 min. No luck. But today he napped for 30 mins this am, and 25 mins the afternoon. I really pushed him to go back to sleep this afternoon, but he ended up screaming for over an hour, falling back to sleep for 3 minutes then waking again. By that time we were ready for a feeding. It just didn't seem like it was worth it. For all Jackson knew, I just popped the boob at him to settle him down. I really want to make sure I'm doing this resettling thing right. I know he needs more sleep, but what if he cries for an hour every time, and runs us into a feed time. It seems he would just cry until he nursed every time?
     I'm sorry this is so long, but I would really appreciate your feedback, or experiences. I know he can do this, I just don't know why it's so hard all of the sudden when it had been going so well! Thanks - Yvette

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 18:18:34 pm »
Hi. Sounds like my dd. It has been 4 days that she is taking 2 hours naps. She is almost 5 and half months. Her naps where of 20 to 30 min long. What I did and I do not know if itīs because of that or just she pass the period was letting her tantrum cry for 1 min then 2 then 3 and going back and do Pu pd until after 2 hours she went to sleep and yes it was eating time so I feed her and then 1.30 hours later again... And it only took 2 naps like this. She never reaches 5 min of crying though. Are you doing a nap routine? this also helped a lot. I shut lights play a little music hold her tight in my arms for 1 min till she is relaxed and then pat shhh for 30 seconds and leave. If she cries wait!!! That was my mistake... i runned after her immediately. I first waited 3 long min until now she cries exactly at min 45 and i leave her and she goes back 1 min later or even 30 sec. Keep trying and maybe it works, but do make a routine and do relax your baby and do hold her to feel secure. do pat sh first and see if it works instead of pu pd if that way he settles good luck... i know how you feel but you need at least 5 days doing the same and putting at same time and do not go out and change routine. Let me know.

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
Need help extending 5 mo old naps
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 21:31:08 pm »
Hi Yvette,

COngratuations on findign this site.  It is great for support, feedback and tips.

First, how old is your lo?
Also, have you read the sticky at the top of this board regarding PU/PD?

Thanks!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline butterflyes3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 22:12:34 pm »
Thank-you for the welcome!

Jackson is 5 1/2 months old. Looking forward to your thoughts on this matter!

Yvette

Offline butterflyes3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 23:03:14 pm »
Hi Daniela,
   thank-you for sharing your experiences with this. I knew that making this change would be hard, but getting feedback from people really helps me to trust that what I am doing is right. I was a little confused about waiting to go in when Jackson first wakes up at 25-45 minutes. I had read about going in BEFORE he wakes to help support him through the transition (replace binky, stroke his head ect.) so I have been trying to do that. It's hard having a three year old in the mix, though. She's been really great, and I've hard special activities for her, but when I try to get him back to sleep for 45 mins, I feel like I'm abondoning her.
    You asked if we are on a nap schedule, too. I haven't called it a schedule, but we consistently have naps around the same time. I watch him for his sleep cues, and put him down when he's tired. (Usually about 2 hours awake time) I thought I'd write down what we're doing NOW with this change, and if anyone has any suggestions for modification, please let me know. Jackson is 5 1/2 mos old, not on any solid food yet. He recently went from four naps to three even before we made this nap change from sleeping in the sling to sleeping in his own bed.
8:00/8:15 am wake and nurse
Awake time, some in car - take Emma to preschool
9:30-9:45 Jackson getting tired
9:45 swaddle and binky in low-light room with fan on for white noise. Hold him for a few minutes and put him down while still awake, but dozy. Sometimes he cries for a few minutes, but I just rub his head and shush him.
10:15 wakes up eyes wide open and cries, will resettle once picked up, but after I lay him he hasn't been goign back to sleep for three days now. He'll cry and cry and cry.
12:00 Nursing
2:00 Nap - similar results to am
He'll stay up for about two hours once awake with activity time and take a shorter nap around 5:00, then to bed no later than 8:00 pm.
    So... I'll put it in everyone's capable hands for input!!
Blessings, Yvette - Mother to Jackson 5 mos, and Emma 3 1/2.