Author Topic: How do I introduce formula to EBF baby?!  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Masonsmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How do I introduce formula to EBF baby?!
« on: November 13, 2005, 00:36:41 am »
Hi - this is my first post, although I've been reading them for weeks!  I have to return to work soon and would like to start my 8.5 month old ds on formula.  He has been EBF since birth, except for some supplementing in the hospital when he was born.  He will take a bottle of EBM no problem, but so far everytime I or my husband try to give him formula he gags and throws up.  Any suggestions on how to introduce him to formula?  I have tried several different kinds, both powder and ready-to-eat. Thanks!!!

annamum

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 04:06:02 am »
Sorry, I have really no advice for you :cry: . I was just thinking that you might want to post it also on a bottle feeding forum, you may get some advice there, too.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 15:29:12 pm »
I've heard that some moms gradually mix the formula and EBM together, so that the lo gets used to the taste, slowly adding more and more formula.  Have you tried that?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Masonsmama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:15:32 am »
Hi again,
I am now back to work 1/2 days unexpectedly sooner than planned.  I have tried mixing a tiny bit of formula with his EBM and he threw that up too.  I also think my milk supply is diminishing as I am not pumping as much volume as before (I pump at the time I would normally BF), so now I'm worried about that too!  On the advice of our doctor I also tried to mix a little bit of formula in with my lo's cereal - he threw that up too!  Yikes!  Doc has suggested if I'm desparate to introduce cow's milk, but I hesitate as lo is only 9 months and I know it's best to wait until 12 months.  Any further suggestions?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 01:25:52 am »
I guess I'm wondering if he's throwing it up because he hates the taste, or is there something in the formula that is making him physically ill...  It's also possible that he might have a similar problem with cow's milk, as it can be hard on the system for some babies.

As for pumping, I found that I had to do an extra pump once I went back to work to get the same volume - so if she normally fed twice, I'd have to pump 3 times.  Have you also thought about taking fenugreek to try and increase your supply, just to get you through to the year that you're hoping (or however long you want to wait...?)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:36:46 am »
If he is throwing up the formula, my guess is he has an intolerence to it... my ds threw up cows milk when it was only 10% mixed in with formula & I was told that it was a reaction to a protein in the milk... he grew out of it. Maybe try a soy or goat milk formula??
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:46:32 am »
My lo is 4 months and I'm having the exact same problem.  We started with about 20% formula and 80% Breast milk.  Now we're at 50/50 but that took a couple weeks.  Now my ds won't throw up the formula, but he won't drink it.

But if it's an intolerance, I'm not sure.  Him throwing up every time would be something that would make me think it's more than lo just not liking the taste.

Good luck.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline wes' mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 01:24:30 am »
Hi!  I've just tried to introduce formula tonight and my son looked at me as if I put a lemon in his mouth!!! (I did 50/50) I felt awful, but I am having such a hard time working and pumping and nursing.  I'm in sales and have to pump in my car during the day either riding down the road or in a parking lot.  I just can't do it anymore.  I feel so guilty.
The problem is, I hardly have any supply in the freezer and I don't know what to do!!  I don't have enough to do his bottles 20/80 and so on.  After reading the posts, I'm really freaking out now!!!!  My job is flexlible, but I can't go and nurse him all the time.  Also, if I mix and he doesn't drink it, I've wasted a ton of breast milk.  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 01:47:40 am »
Quote from: Masonsmama
  Doc has suggested if I'm desparate to introduce cow's milk, but I hesitate as lo is only 9 months

I started both of my older children on cow's milk at 9 months- on the advice of my doctor- all of my children are pretty big though, how much does your ds weigh?
alternately, you could try soy formula and see if that makes a difference.
Let us know how it's going and good luck!
Lisa

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 01:50:36 am »
Wes's mom, how old is your lo? We do have some veteran pumpers that post occasionally, if you want their pms let me know, you could ask some specific questions.

You may need to try a few different formulas until you find one he will take.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline wes' mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 02:41:00 am »
Hi GraceKelly's mom,
Thank you for your reply.  I checked out the bottle feeding section last night and saw where one mom switched the formula to Similac Advance and her baby drank it up.  Well,  believe it or not, I went to the store to buy some, made a bottle and sure enough, he drank 4 oz!!!!  I couldn't believe it.  I was happy to see he would drink it, but in a way sad bc it was his first feeding without me or an expressed bottle.  Strange feeling  :?
Thanks again!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 02:52:21 am »
Best of luck to you! That is great you found a substitute so quickly without expense of buying several kinds. Let us know if you need support with continuing pumping ... we are always here.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 03:42:56 am »
Wes' mom- have you added in extra pumping sessions at home? That might help stretch out the supply.
Jeni

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 12:55:10 pm »
Congrats!  Sounds like I may be heading to the store to pick up the same type of formula.  Hope it works just as well as it has for you.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)