Author Topic: wakeing him up to keep to the schedule  (Read 861 times)

Offline doodle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
wakeing him up to keep to the schedule
« on: November 13, 2005, 01:37:49 am »
This may be a dumb question but I want to know about naps that run long (my son is on 3 hour EASY).
As I have read in Tracy's book and I know that babies shouldn't sleep longer then 2 hrs for daytime naps.  I don't let my son do this but sometimes he has a short nap and I can't get him back to sleep right away so he stays up for a bit then goes back down.  A lot of the time the second nap is longer then the first (first one only about 45 minutes).  This  means that sometimes he is sleeping past his next scheduled feed.
Here is an example from today:
Parker woke up from his second nap at 1 pm.  We fed him and played for a little while then decided to go for a walk.  He fell asleep right on time in the stroller around 2 pm.  He slept until we got back at 2:45.  He was wide awake and happy so I didn't try to put him down right away.  I knew he would still be tired so I waited until he started fussing and put him down again.  He went down at 3:30 with his next feed being 4 pm.  4 pm came and went and by 4:30 he still was asleep.  I had my husband wake him up and feed him but I don't know if this is the right thing to do.  Should we have just let him sleep?  Is it right to wake him? 
If we had let him sleep it would have thrown our schedule right off.  I know sleep is important for him and his development so I don't want to mess with that. 
Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!
Proud mom of Parker
Born August 22, 2005
7 lb 14 oz

Offline KellyRobert

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 04:12:43 am »
Waking a sleeping baby is annoying, but it's usually what I do even if the nap hasn't been that long.  However, if I give a late/early feed a few times a week it doesn't harm much.  It's the overall routine that is important.  It was probably good to wake Parker at for the 4:00 feed so that bedtime doesn't get to late and he'll be hungry for all his evening feeds.  Another rule of thumb I use is that I try to stay on rountine within a half an hour.  So if you normally feed at 4:00, try not to feed earlier than 3:30 or later than 4:30.  Another option would have been to feed Parker a little early and then put him down for a nap and hope he sleeps longer or until the next feeding.  Hope that helps!