Author Topic: Did I do the right thing??  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Kim Williams

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Did I do the right thing??
« on: November 14, 2005, 13:45:40 pm »
My baby boy is 15 weeks old and from 10 weeks has slept from 7.30pm to 6.30am (but i dont go in to get him until 7am).  Last night he woke at 3am which he has done before but he couldnt settle himself back to sleep.  I waited 40 mins and by that time he was starting to get very cross (but not an all out cry!) so I went in and gave him his dummy and patted him to sleep.  He went back to sleep after about 10 mins and slept until 6am.  Did I do the right thing going in to him?  Any ideas why he didnt setlle, hungry? cold (it was a cold night)?.....
Mum to my little texbook boy Jack

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 22:34:20 pm »
There are some times when you just can't sleep, aren't there? There may be no reason, but I don't think you did any lasting damage :) . It's not like you rushed in, or nursed him back to sleep or anything like that. He may have been cold, it was cold last night. Is he in a grobag type thing, or had he kicked his blankets off? What was he wearing?

I think that, even if this happens a few times, you handled it in the correct way, so in the long term he will get out of any habit of doing this.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Kim Williams

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:32:07 am »
thanks Caroline.  He slept OK last night, but he did wake at 2am for about 35 mins but managed to get himself back to sleep this time! 
He does sleep in a growbag which is 3 tog (its from ASDA not sure if the real thing would be warmer?)  He has a vest and a baby grow, is this enough?  His hands and feet are so cold in the morning but his body is warm....

On the sleeping front, he rotates clockwise during the night and ends up with his head right up to the cot bars!  Im sure this is another reason why he wakes.  I do go in and move him and have to do this about 3 times.  Any advice on this?
Mum to my little texbook boy Jack

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 18:24:31 pm »
Hi Kim, glad you got some sleep last night!

If he's got a grobag type-thing (even if it's from Asda :wink:  :D ), plus a vest & babygro, he should be fine, that's what my lo usually wears. Hands and feet being cold is OK, the best place to check is back of the neck, or tummy. If they're warm, then he's fine.

I'm afraid I have no advice on the rotating in the cot, as ds does this and drives me mad. I find him in the most unusual contorted angles, and, yes, it does wake him up sometimes :roll:  :?  :lol:  There've even been a couple of times when he got stuck between his cot bars! Bar fitting cot bumpers, which I don't want to do, can anyone advise?

HTH, good luck tonight!
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston