Author Topic: BIG GIRL BED QUESTION  (Read 1147 times)

Offline aliciasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
BIG GIRL BED QUESTION
« on: November 12, 2005, 20:31:02 pm »
15 days ago I put my 19 1/2m old in a bed.  We are expecting our second child next month.  She did really good cryed for about 5 minutes the first few times, never getting out.  But starting 2 days ago she now crys when I put here in there for nap time and gets out of bed knocking at the door and balling.  And she is also getting up 2 times a night crying at her door.  Not ever night is like this, but ever second so far.  I don't go in there at nap time because she usually doesn't cry for very long but just now she was in there for 50m crying on and off and finally went to sleep.  At night time I go in there check her diaper and comfort her then put her back to bed and she hasen't cryed after.  I'm really confused as to why she is doing this all of a sudden after so long of doing great.  I just want to her be all settled sleeping great threw the night and for naps before the baby comes.  If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Brandy
Mother to Alicia
Born 4/17/04

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
BIG GIRL BED QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 14:51:33 pm »
Hi Brandy

They just love lulling us into a false sense of security don't they? Just when you think everything is going perfectly they put a spanner in the works.  :wink:

Just a couple of things on this. Does she have a bed rail? If not that could be a way to reduce the chances of her getting out of the bed at all.

If she does get out I'd go with the approach of putting her back the first time saying "it's bedtime, time to go to sleep", the second time just say "bedtime" and put her back, any subequent times just put her back without saying anything.

If she's upset when you leave the room then you could try a "gradual withdrawal" approach. Start by the bed, them move a few paces away, then a few more, then to the door, then through the door.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
BIG GIRL BED QUESTION
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 15:22:11 pm »
When I started by DD in her big girl bed she loved it...then 2 weeks later refused to sleep in it. But she slept in her toddler travel bed on the floor for about another 2 weeks and then back to big girl bed! I DIDN'T even try to figure out why!! Just went with it. We've had alot of sleep issues over the last 3-4 months coinciding with birth of second child. BTW...she's 3 and started in her big girl bed around 2 1/2. We use big girl bucks...if she only gets out of bed once and puts up a minimal fuss...then she gets a big girl buck and when she collects 3-6 she gets a special shopping trip at our big girl buck store. Works for us. Also she has her dolls/mickey mouse in bed and we point out that they are lonely when she leaves her bed. Keeping toddlers in bed a night seems to be a common problem in this age group.
Jeni

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Showing Appreciation 70
BIG GIRL BED QUESTION
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 20:32:17 pm »
I just put my soon-to-be-2yo in the pack n play to sleep.  For three weeks she'd hop out as soon as I left the room for nap and tear the room apart.   :?   Some days she talks to herself for an hour before falling asleep, but she is back to napping.