Author Topic: Arghh - 9mth old won't nap, crawls around cot  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Flutterby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Arghh - 9mth old won't nap, crawls around cot
« on: November 13, 2005, 05:20:43 am »
Hi

I have recently unswaddled my son and he now will not fall asleep for his naps during the day.  This has only happened in the last 2 days so I want to jump on it straight away.

What should I do?  I put him in his cot, give him his dummy and tell him it's time to have a nap and walk out of the room.  I then battle him for the next 1 - 1 1/2 hours to get him to lie down and go to sleep.  He is sitting up, standing at the side of the cot.

Please help  :D
Lea
Mum to awesome little boy, Noah.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:02:43 am »
Did you go cold turkey w/ the swaddle? 

If so can i ask why you decided to stop?  If you still want to go cold turkey then stick w/ it, but yes you are going to get resistance.  He is telling you, you have changed the rules and i don't know how to do this.

You can help him through it ... do what you said and then leave.  What does he do when you leave?  R you giving him time to settle? (NOT CIO).

I'll check back.

Offline Flutterby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 20:09:23 pm »
Yes I went cold turkey with the swaddling.  I stopped swaddling him because I thought that at 9 months he would be fine.  He is fine at night time with not being swaddled.

When I put him down during the day I will walk out and I can here him squeeking and babbling to himself.  When i walk in there he is sitting up looking all cutie cutie.  I then start the battle of lying him down and telling him is is sleep time.

However, having said that I am now swaddling him again during the day so that he actually gets some sleep  8) .  If I am to unswaddle him during the day, what would you suggest?

I think I felt more pressure from my family for doing this as he is quite a big boy really.  I am thinking that I will continue to S both arms down and then gradually loosen the wrap one arm at a time for the naps.

TIA for your advice
Lea
Mum to awesome little boy, Noah.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 22:30:08 pm »
I like your idea for gradually getting him used to un-swaddling.

If you do need to use pd...here is what i would recommend for an older LO and what I do for pd: I put her down, if she gets up (stands or sits) I do pd again...a few times - once she stays down and is calm, I pat for a minute and say nap time honey, good night, then leave. If she won't stay down after a few tries, I put down one last time and say nap time, good night and leave. If she is upset (not just moaning or forcing it, but the very upset cry) I wait 1 min, go back in and repeat.  If not upset at all hang back about 10-15 and give them time settle themselves.

He may surprise you and w/in a few days doesn't need you come back at all.