Author Topic: Dairy free diet and weaning to formula  (Read 1307 times)

Offline hurr1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dairy free diet and weaning to formula
« on: November 13, 2005, 19:31:24 pm »
I have a history of asthma,ezcema and allergies to fish and nuts. Also reactions to dairy and eggs as a child. I started a dairy and egg free diet from when I was 6 months pregnant and plan to continue until I stop breastfeeding. This is to hopefully decrease the chances of my LO getting my allergies. My LO is 18 weeks old now. I have started weaning to formula which is goats milk based but he will only take 100mls at a feed which doesn't seem enough. I have only substituted 2 feeds so far but was wondering whether it might be the taste of the formula he doesn't like and maybe I should try something else but don't want to go to a dairy based formula to undo 9 months of my diet. Should I try a soy based formula or just persevere with the goats and hopefully he will start to take more?
Isaac was born 9/7/05 and my husband and I are the proudest parents. He is a wonderful boy and we are blessed.

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 09:49:05 am »
Not sure exactly what to suggest here as we were told to stay away from cows, goats, lamb's and soya milk. Hve you spoken to your doc? Is your lo ok on the goats milk? When we introduced the Neocate (non dairy) formula Liv hated it but it only took about 2-3 weeks and she was up to 120-200mls.

hth
Sara

Diego's Mama

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 11:49:39 am »
Do you have to use formula?  I would stick to breastmilk and expressed breast milk if you can.  Goats milk can cause the same allergy issues as cows... maybe visit an allergist and see what they say?

Lots of info out now on virgin guts in babies which supports the concept of not introducting foods other than breastmilk in babies under six months.  And where you have a history of allergies, I'd be even more careful.  I talked to my son's pediatrician about virgin gut and he supported it.  The ladies on the breastfeeding board should be able to give you more info on it if you'd like.

Offline hurr1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 23:16:46 pm »
Hi, Thanks for your replies :)  I guess the main reason to go to formula now is that I'm so sick of this diet I'm doing and would have liked to be off it by Christmas when I was hoping to have him weaned. Interestingly I spoke to a dietician at the formula company yesterday and she said goats milk is very similar to cows milk in protein structure anyway and that 90% of babies who react to cow's milk will react to goat's milk. I don't know whether my baby is allergic to dairy but this was a way to try to minimise any allergies he might develop since I have so many. I wonder if I should slowly introduce dairy into my diet and see if it affects him as he's had no problems on the goats milk and it would be a great comprimise for me as I would like to continue breastfeeding but can't face another 2 months of this diet :?
Isaac was born 9/7/05 and my husband and I are the proudest parents. He is a wonderful boy and we are blessed.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:04:03 am »
You could see what happens if you intro milk to your diet, it is worth a try. Start with yogurt, it is the easiest for YOU to digest.

I was on the milk-free diet for 12 months, and then a soy and milk free diet for another 12 months. It definately sucked at holidays, but I learned to make foods I could eat, so I didn't feel so deprived. For example, I made an apple pie. We made the potatoes with dairy-free margarine. The turkey was easy to do dairy-free.

You are really doing awesome to help your lo, if you think about it in terms of only 6-7 more months of "suffering" for you may allow them to live an allergy/intolerance free life, I would personally say my sacrifice was well worth it.  :wink:

{hugs} and know you are not alone.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 19:52:07 pm »
Hi there

just to add what Stacy is saying, you may find that he isn't taking much as it is acually upsetting his tummy a little. I would try what stacy is suggesting but would try and maintain the breastfeeding just in case you're left with limited options.

I was in this situation and whilst I really didn't like breastfeeding or the diet (which in fact I got used to and still carry out a similar diet even though I no longer feed) I managed to stick it out until 1 year. This has definitely helped Liv who we are pretty sure has a problem with milk still but at a far lesser degree than she had as a baby and she is definitley able to tolerate some dairy in foods whereas she did react to milk produects through my milk.

Sara