Author Topic: Extending 20-30min naps  (Read 980 times)

Offline snowangel

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 13, 2005, 22:00:58 pm »
Hi!

My 5month old lo goes off for laps OK, bit of fussing sometimes needing a paci. First nap sometimes can last 45min but the rest of his naps he can't get past 20-30min. I've tried leaving him to see if he'll settle himself. The only thing that sometimes works is going in and sshing/giving him the paci and he'll sleep another 30min-1h. How do I get him to do it on his own?

My fairly sketchy schedule looks like this - 

E - 7am
A
S - 9am

E - 10.30am
A
S - Mid-day

E - 1:30pm
A
S - 3pm

E - 4:30pm
A
E - 6:15pm
S - 6:30 - 7pm 

Thanks for any input!

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Extending 20-30min naps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 01:05:13 am »
Hmmm.  I know when my dd's naps got shorter it was time to increase her A time.   Do you think you could lengthen the A time between nap1 and nap2 and then again between nap2 and nap3.  You might need to work towards dropping nap3 over the next month.

I got there by increasing A time in 10mins intervals even if it meant I had to hold her for the whole 10 mins.  I had to completly ignore her tired signs (ulness she was having a meltdown) and she adjusted over a few days.  I bet you can get nap2 and subsequently nap 3, delayed by an hour over a weeks time.

Good Luck, Tarri

Offline snowangel

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 09:11:58 am »
Hmm.....that's interesting! I've always been so concerned with him being overtired I didn't really consider he could be undertired!!! I'll give it a go! Thanks!