Author Topic: wakes at 3 with tummy ache  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Kaizmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 14, 2005, 05:40:39 am »
Our son is 3 months old, he was 1 month premature, and is solely breastfed.  We just started the program and are trying a 4 hr EASY.  We are making progress, however, he wakes at 3 am because gas bubbles seem to be passing through his umbillical hernia.  He has had trouble sleeping (naps too) because of this condition for the last 2 months.  We tried the gas drops, and they help a little but he still wakes up.  It coincides with the 45 min sleep cycle.  For example, at nap time he will sleep 45 min, but when we sneak in to help him extend his sleep, we hear the gas bubbles and he wakes up kicking.  However, at night, he sleeps for hours without waking until 3 am.  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Does anyone have any advice??  Thanks.

stasztk

wakes at 3 with tummy ache
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 05:59:20 am »
I don't know enough about this but as far as I know preemies should be able to feed when they want to.

How is his weigh gain? Have you spoken to the doctor about this?

Poor boy. I really hope you get this sorted for him.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.  :(

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:14:39 am »
If he is sleeping more than 4-5 hours before 3am, then I would say he is needing to be fed at that time.

A 2.5-3 hour EASY is more suitable for a 3mo baby, especially one that was one month premie. I think the gas bubbles are actually hunger pains.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Kaizmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 06:23:14 am »
His weight gain has been great.  We are paying closer attention to his cues and he wants to eat about every 4 hours.  Prior to that we mistook his tired signals for hunger and fed him every 1.5 hours.  Since the snacking has stopped he is more focused on eating, and some of the colic sypmtoms have improved.  For example, the gas does not affect him as often while awake, however they do still wake him from naps (after 45 min) and at 3am.

Wilsmon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 16:10:54 pm »
My little guy suffered from gas alot when he was that age - woke him up all the time!  I read everything I could including nursing on one side only so they get more hind milk (too much foremilk can cause gas but it is usually associated with explosive diapers also).  Anyway, that could be why you are having better luck going longer between nursings and eating more (more hindmilk).  I never was able to get him completely over it though - I think they just have to get older and their digestive systems more mature. 

Also, something I didn't know is that you need to use the gas drops all the time, before each feeding for them to really be effective.

Hang in there!

Jennifer