Author Topic: dream feed question  (Read 904 times)

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
dream feed question
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:13:41 am »
I know here is another :roll:

I have been doing the dream feed for some timeand DS will drink 5 oz, at 12pm (I know its late) but any earlier and he would not be hungry for it (he sleeps at 8, top up feed). 

The problem is (check my post on night wakings) I just feel like something is not working right.  I have read other women say the DF did not work for them, but I have been doing it for so long I don't know weather it's not working. My DS wants to eat again in the night, I thought it was habitual but it seems he was really hungry :?  I really believe he's eating alot at night and he should be working towards sleeping through. I know I shouldn't say it but I read everyone elses posts and speak to other mums with LO's the same age, and they  sleep so much better.

At the moment he has 6oz at 6pm, 4oz at8pm, I set my alarm for 12, 5oz then he wakes about 4ish 5oz. Then he only wants 2oz at 7.30 :shock: . 

Am I doing something wrong?  Does anyone have LO's the same age to give me ideas that work for them?

Should I drop the dream feed and follow his lead through out the night and see what happens for a few weeks?

Or is this just my particular LO and I should just put up with it untill he gets older?

During the day he's on 3.5 hr easy drinks 5/7oz per bottle (except for the first one)

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
dream feed question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 14:31:56 pm »
Hi there, Has he started to be more unsettled recently in the night? as you could still be dealing with the aftermath of his 3 month growth spurt. If you are able to tank him up during the day and try and get any extra calories into him - I would also suggest cluster feeding and if you are not able to being the DF forward, I would get rid of it for now - sometimes when DF are done later than 11ish, they disrupt bubbas sleep and become a night waking in themselves.

See how he gets on without the DF and with more calories in his belly - you may also need to work on independent sleep by using PU/PD and pat/shush to aid him to sleep in the night and for naps.

HTH!
Dee
x

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
dream feed question
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 15:22:38 pm »
So is feeding at 3pm, 6pm, and 8pm (just before bed) classed as 'tanking up'?

Shoud I just not wake to DF him and if he should wake himself I go ahead and feed him?

How long should I try this before I should see an improvement? and what if he continues to wake on his own should I offer dummy first and if he wakes again I offer the bottle?

Or do you think I should offer a DF at 10/10.30 and if he only drinks a bit maybe in time he will build it up as he did originally with the DF.

As you can see I'm very confused, :? would love to here from other mums who's night time routins work for them with similar aged Lo's.

really apreciate the advice  :D