Author Topic: Losing mind and patience, please help  (Read 936 times)

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« on: November 14, 2005, 12:42:27 pm »
I am so utterly exhausted and confused.  I don't know if I'm making problems worse and therefore should stop my efforts or if I stop will things spin even more out of control...

I have twin 4 month olds (corrected, b/g).  I've already posted on the twin board but was hoping for more specific expertise here because it's not really anything to do with twins, per se. 

30-45 minute naps all day for both; as of two days ago have now begun "snacking" instead of taking full feeds; can only stand one hour 10 (max) activity time...have tried extending in small increments but has no effect on nap length...just makes ME more exhausted!; DD has slept through the night for 6 weeks now, but woke last night for a feed...would love to be able to increase calories during day to compensate but a)she's eating all she can - I don't limit her, b) since she's now started snacking instead of full feeds, does Tracy's recommendation about getting the calories into her no matter how/when still apply?? 

I'm losing my mind.  I never thought that something as dumb as naps would cause me to be on the brink of some kind of collapse.

Any responses would be so appreciated and welcome.

TIA

Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
Losing mind and patience, please help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 17:41:02 pm »
First, congratulations on twins!  And you are not alone.  For those of us with just one child taking bad naps we go crazy, so with two I can definitely empathize.

First can you answer a couple of questions:
1. Have they always been 45 minute nappers or did this just start?
2. What is their routine...are they on 4 hour EASY?
3. what kind of activities are you doing before their naps?
4. What is your windown routine and how long is it?

When you get a chance please provide us with a few more specifics and we'll see if we can help.

Thanks!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 22:14:15 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply.  Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Have they always been 45 minute nappers or did this just start?
It's been since exactly October 8th (I keep a good logbook...essential with two!)
2. What is their routine...are they on 4 hour EASY?
Ever since the short naps, I've been moving them to 4 hour EASY.  They have no problems going 4 hours between feeds, but their napping doesn't match this schedule at all!
3. what kind of activities are you doing before their naps?
You name it.  I've tried tiring them out, keeping things super mellow, doing something in between, taking them for walks, car rides...none of it seems to really make any difference. 
4. What is your windown routine and how long is it?
Our windown routine is different for both babies, but for Hazel it's soother, one arm bundle, walking and talking softly, sitting for a minute or two in the nursery chair, laying her down and then giving her forehead kisses.  Whole thing is about 4 minutes.  For Quinn, it's longer and consists of walking with him in cradle hold, bundled, soother, patting his back while jiggling (only thing that makes his eyes start to close).

Thanks!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80