Author Topic: baby dropping feeds  (Read 949 times)

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
baby dropping feeds
« on: November 14, 2005, 15:32:24 pm »
Up until a about two weeks ago I was attempting to nurse my 8 month old 6 times a day.  She started not wanting to nurse after her morning nap.  I assume she was still full from her ceral and fruit at breakfast.  So I dropped that feed and started giving her lunch about an hour and a half after her nap.  Then she started getting more regular at night and now she wakes anywhere from 5-5:45 to nurse and then goes back down until 7:30.  At which point she doesn't want to nurse.  So she has now dropped two feeds.  Then I was nursing her after her afternoon nap and that has now turned into just a few minutes. 

So she basically nurses heavily before bed, at the DF and then in the early morning.  Is that too little?  I feel badly, like she needs to be nuring more.  She is very healthy and has plenty of dirty and wet diapers. 

What do you all think?

Frances

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
baby dropping feeds
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 19:13:38 pm »
wow...we are in the same boat!  Our almost nine month old has been refusing to nurse the past few days except upon waking and bedtime.  I have been pumping and using the milk in his cereal.  In my situation though, a few things are happening.  He just cut his two top teeth two days ago and I will be getting my period in a couple of days...he always turns his nose up at the breast during this time...could any of this be happening in your situation?  I feel your frustration.....I hope someone can help you out...just wanted you to know you're not alone!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
baby dropping feeds
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 19:31:57 pm »
It is very common for an 8 month old baby to not be interested in nursing. She needs to be getting at least 4 milk feeds until she is 10 months old.

You can try changing her nursing pattern, like feeding her as soon as she wakes up and is still sleepy, or in the middle of the cycle, or before she sleeps.

Make sure that you are only giving her two average sized solids meals or three smaller solids meals at 8 months old. If she is eating too many solids, she won't be hungry for milk.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
baby dropping feeds
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 21:54:31 pm »
Thanks for the advise and for the comfort that I am not alone.  She only has her bottom two teeth and I have yet to start my cycle.  Anyway, I think we will be able to maintain the 4 feeds a day until she is 10 months. That is good imformation to have, thanks.  She does eat three meals a day, but her lunch is smaller and just finger foods. 

Thanks again!
Frances