Author Topic: Putting DD down is so easy!  (Read 1031 times)

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
Putting DD down is so easy!
« on: November 15, 2005, 03:38:46 am »
I just wanted to share how teaching your lo to go to sleep independently is so worthwhile.  It's taken a lot of work, mental fortitude, perseverance, PATIENCE, and time (we started when she was 5mo).  But now I'm able to put dd down for naps & bedtime so easily.  No routines necessary.  I put dd in her crib and close the door as I leave - it literally takes that long.  It's so great because it gives dh & me more free time, instead of spending it getting her to sleep.  I just figured out how to get her to go to sleep at night as easily as for her naps - so blissful.  :D

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:43:32 am »
Hi, thanks so much for sharing...it is worth it isn't it!

Quote (selected)
I just figured out how to get her to go to sleep at night as easily as for her naps

Can you add some more detail to the above and maybe other parents can apply to them.

Thanks again!

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 03:55:19 am »
For some reason, dh & I thought dd needed more of a routine to help her go to sleep at night.  I don't know why... it must have started early on b/c of accidental parenting or something.  So when we put her down for the night, we'd stay in the room until she fell asleep.  Then we'd very silently leave the room.  Sometimes the floor would creak & wake her up.  Then the whole cycle of PU/PD would start.  However, DH had to leave town for a week.  Murphy's law kicked in - dd got her first cold and she morphed into cranky & clingy baby from hell.  PU/PD would continue for well into an hour.  I was too tired to do the usual stuff after a few days of that.   So I thought I'd just do what I normally do at naptimes, which is to just put her in the crib and leave.  The first night I did it - she was NOT happy.  She would cry as she stood up in bed.  I'd put her down without picking her up.  She'd cry for 3-4 minutes.  I'd go in and put her down.  The cycle continued for about 20 minutes before she went to sleep.  The next night she cried for literally 5 seconds before she settled down.  Tonight, she didn't even cry.   :D

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 03:34:14 am »
That is so great and I am so happy for you and your DH.  It is wonderful to be able to spend more time together than spending an hour putting DD down to sleep.  Teaching independent sleep is so worth it! :D
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07