Author Topic: DS has to have a good cry before sleep!!!  (Read 1378 times)

Offline wannabe+

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
DS has to have a good cry before sleep!!!
« on: November 15, 2005, 09:00:54 am »
I am starting to dread putting DS to sleep as i am using EASY and he displays good signs of being tired, yawning etc but as soon as i put him down he crys and crys.  I can pat and shhh as much as i want and it does not help.  I pick up put down till i am blue in the face to no avail.  What can i do as i am really not enjoying putting him to sleep anymore.  It was all fine up until a few days ago when he started crying when i put him down.  Before he would just cry a little and go off to sleep

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 09:40:16 am »
How old is LO?
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline wannabe+

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 10:06:01 am »
Oh sorry, i forgot to mention that he is almost 3 months on the 28th Nov.

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 10:28:48 am »
You should avoid PU/PD if you can. Try elevating the mattress. Try the ssshhh part.  My DD didn't like the pat.   Do you swaddle?
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 10:53:28 am »
Do you swaddle him? If not please try, if he gets out of a blanket try a miracle blanket or a bigger blanket so you can wrap him more times.

When you say pat / shh doesnt work, are you trying this before putting him down, to get him to the point of being almost asleep?

Are you shhing loud enough, the shh has to be louder than his crying, and the patting needs to be reasonably firm and higher up the back than you might think. With our 6 week old last night it took 13 minutes before she stopped fidgeting, crying and messing. It may be you are stopping too soon, apparently in one of her sessions Tracey had the parent do it for 17 minutes (afterwards she asked how long it was and the woman said 30 minutes without knowing), 15 minutes will seem like a long time (around double).

Offline wannabe+

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 11:19:54 am »
I have tried swaddling him but he absolutely hates it and screams blue murder when i try.  Do you pat and shhh all through the crying?  I supposed i may be stopping to early but since his birth my back aches really bad so it is hard to bend over the cot all the time.

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 12:22:28 pm »
Phoebe hates being swaddled or thats what I thought, last night she screamed blue murder when I tried at first, but once she was tightly wrapped she was quite happy, and it really did help with her pesky hands!

I pat/shhd while I sat with her (from the 4S method), until she stopped moaning/crying/fussing, after 13mins she stopped and started closing her eyes, so I put her down shh/patting all the time, the recommedation is to continue till she gets past REM sleep (about 20 mins I think, certainly at first).

If you have back problems try getting a chair thats tall enough or something to help with that, I know how you feel my back isnt great!!