Author Topic: Supply Problems  (Read 1638 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« on: November 15, 2005, 20:51:45 pm »
I know babies are more efficient than a pump, but realistically, how much more do they get than what I might pump at any given time?

Dd has not been gaining weight and we have been trying to figure out whether it is a digestive problem (she is not digesting food very well) or a milk supply problem or both.  I know my supply has been off for the last few weeks due to extreme stress and illness, but dd has had a normal quantity of wet diapers, so I assumed though my supply may be a bit off, it was still ok.

However, she has refused to nurse since yesterday morning, so I have pumped every feeding while giving her EBM in a bottle.  I have pumped four times (she normally nurses four times a day), and gotten a whopping 9oz total!  No wonder she's not gaining weight!

I am at a loss.  I don't know if I want to continue nursing.  With everything that has been going on, I am just so exhausted and so worried about her.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
Supply Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 21:52:45 pm »
Tracy says in the book that a yield is done 15 min before the scheduled feeding/or at since she isn't nursing, and that you only add 1 oz to what you pump.  So realistically not much more.  But I could be wrong??

She won't latch?  Does she arch and push you away?  Will she take all of it from the bottle or is this a non-eating thing.  Does she eat solids?

Normally I think strikes don't last too long but with the weight issue I'd check with the doctor.

Since I know more of what's going on with you, you should not be feeling guilty about continuing if you decide it is in all of your best interests to stop.  Think of all the great nursing you've done so far!  It is quite an achievement :D  Stress really screws up my supply...so if you are stressed that also might be an issue.  And if she started gaining you could relax :)

I hope the moderators here can give you more thoughts.

(((HUGS)))
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline maricar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Supply Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 22:05:04 pm »
i'm not sure how helpful i can be to you... but i am pretty sure that the amount that you can pump can be totally off from what your lo can get.  in my case, i cannot pump more than 3 or 4 oz from both sides altogether, but i know my ds is getting more than that.  he started off bottlefeeding & he would take in about 2 to 3 oz at 6 weeks.  after that, he started breastfeeding & at 6 months, he weighed in at 20 lbs.  there are many times that i feel like he might not be getting enough b/c a lot of the time his feed seems so short (in terms of minutes).  but he must be getting enough to have gained that weight.  i hope i'm not making you feel bad about your dd not gaining weight.  i just wanted to explain why i know that pumping doesn't give you an accurate indication of how much your lo gets.

also, i'm not a 100% on this one but, at your dd's age, isn't it common that their weight gain stalls due to an increase in mobility?

on another note, have you asked your lo's dr. about your suspicions about a digestive problem?  also, in my area, there are breastfeeding clinics where there are lactation consultants on hand to see (for free).  there. women are able to go in, weigh their babies, feed them & then weigh them again in order to see how many ounces the baby took in.  do you have anything like that accessible to you b/c it might clarify your question of whether your lo is getting enough.  (although, if she's refusing to nurse, then it might not be helpful)

anyway, i'm sorry you're going through this.  i hope everything works out for you.  i just wanted to add that if you really love bf'ing your dd, then it might be worth it to talk to a dr and/or lactation consultant before giving it up.  good luck & all the best to you both.  :)

annamum

Supply Problems
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 22:28:58 pm »
Breastfed babies do slow down big time at some point. As long as your dd is still gaining some weight and seems to be active and reaching developmental milestones and has wet diapers, I think that is normal. Just an example, my dd was growing very fast till she reached 6 months, I think she was 17 pounds then. Later, she slowed down and at 13 months check up she gained only 4 pounds more. You see, in second 7 months of her life she gained only 4, compared to 10 pounds she gained in first 6 months.

As for pumping, some women can pump a lot, and some can hardly pump anything even though their supply is great. If you were ill, stressed and tired, it is quite normal that it dropped but you said your dd still had plenty of wet diapers. I assume your dd is on a nursing strike, this can be due to anything like teething, a cold or something else. I understand that you are considering weaning, it is up to you to decide. The truth is that a nursing strike is a good time to do it. I will always encourage you to continue, of course :lol:, and we all will gladly help you if you choose to do so.

Let us know,

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 00:03:39 am »
She arches her back and starts to scream hysterically.  Our normal nursing spot is a quiet, dark place, but I have tried other rooms with no success.  I have tried at every feeding, but I don't push it once she gets upset.

The weight gain problem is that there is none.  She actually lost weight between her 6 and 9mos checkups.  She is 10mos and only 15lbs.  Her development has regressed as well.  We saw the doctor a month ago, and we've talked to him once a week since.  We have a follow-up appt Thurs to discuss the weight gain and digestive issues.

I'm continuing to pump for now, but if this goes much longer, I will not be able to sustain my supply without her eating.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline kzener

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Supply Problems
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 03:43:17 am »
In regards to supply...how about trying Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle?  Hang in there.   I'm sure you and your doctor will figure out if there is a digestive issue. And hugs from me too.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Supply Problems
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 03:44:11 am »
I have no advice, but just wanted to offer some {{{hugs}}} as your situation sounds rather stressful.  Hope you find a solution soon!

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 13:45:14 pm »
Well, she nursed this morning.  Let's hope she keeps it up.

I have been taking fenugreek for the last week (2 capsules, 3x day).  I initially wondered if the change in taste wasn't what prompted the strike in the first place.  But she took milk I expressed in a bottle, so I guess not.  What is blessed thistle?
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)