Author Topic: Do I NEED to extend Naps??  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
Do I NEED to extend Naps??
« on: November 15, 2005, 22:51:58 pm »
Hi I am a little confused as to whether I NEED to extend dd nap times. They are at most 40 mins after removing the dummy and she now sleeps throught out the night. I'm not sure if I will vreate a problem as we have finally got her to fall asleep independantly and for 11.5 hrs straight. During the day she stays up for around 2 hrs but sleeps for 30-40 for the 1st and 2nd nap and about 45 for the last nap which yesterday I extended because she woke crying. I was going to introduce pu pd today but thought i may not have a problem as my lo mostly wakes up cheerful and Can stay in her cot awake up to 1/2 hr amusing herself. I am trying to re introduce easy as It is a little disturbed with the regular and short naps. Do I just accept she is a short napper how do I know??

Offline lulah'smum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 23:17:22 pm »
Well if it was me and I'd worked so hard to get her to sleep through the night and sleep without dummy I wouldn't push it! She will most likely start napping for longer periods on her own in a couple of weeks, once she really gets the hang of self-settling. If she's happy for the rest of the day then don't worry about longer naps - she obviously doesn't need them right now.

At 6-7 mths my DD was on 3 naps. The first 2 were longest with the late afternoon "catnap" only lasting 30 mins or so.

HTH and well done with the sleep/dummy issues!

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 00:21:26 am »
Thank you. I guess i just needed some reassurance. Shes never been a long napper but when she did go 1/1/2 hrs it was through no help of me! SHe has been up almost 2 hrs and is still quite happy although I will be winding her down soon. At the moment our windown is quite lond 20- 30 mins of reading a few books and a few soft lullabys and a cuddle and bed. I want to make sure she is totally relaxed so she can drift off peacefully as she has been over tired/stimulated for most of her 6 month life hehe. I Decided today was the day for changes as I was apprehensive about changing her night time pattern ie dummy and we have gone from 10-20 wake ups to 0-1. :Dand all that it the space of just over 1 week! I Just dont want to push her and have it all back fire. I would rather a baby who sleeps through so she can grow and eventually I hope her naps will follow. Also she is on the verge of crawling so theres too many places to be other than her cot :wink:

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 03:50:09 am »
Congratulations on a job well done with fixing the night wakings! 
Regarding the naps and extending them, do it if and when you feel you are up for it.  Right now it seems like you are jsut thrilled to have your nights improved, so aren't all that anxious to change too much too fast.

But when you are ready, you may try tweaking her routine a bit with a little bit of a longer A time.  Being almost 7months she might be able to handle 2.5 in the afternoon (2 in the am is good though). 

You also might try reducing her winddown routine to just a couple of minutes.  Usually with older babies a longer wind down routine is not always necessary and could back fire because they could actually be going through the first stages of sleep in your arms and will make it harder for them to transition to the next sleep cycle on their own.

HTH
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 05:36:31 am »
I feel like i need to build my strength again before attempting another hurdle. I dont mind but it feels like she naps all day. Today she is up to her 4th catnap at 4.30 and she is WAAAAYYYYYY overtired after being awake for only 2 hours.boo hoo. I know that its just not practical for a 7 month to have 4 naps even if they are 30 mins. We will never be able to leave home! I guess i dont know hwere to start. I have spent the whole day observing her so i dont miss any windows. But even doing that having a great windown and her going to sleep on her own hasnt helped. like clock work i hear her squeals and partying at the 30 min mark. My heart and stomach lurch when i hear the familiar tune down the baby monitor..

Offline lulah'smum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 23:57:47 pm »
Wow I soooo know that feeling! Your stomach just drops at the sound of the first cry and you hope that you just imagined it. Is she teething at the moment? That can make for short naps. Milestones too - they definitely make naps shorter. Does anyone know why??? I'll put money on her sleeping for longer periods for you soon. Just ride it out  :wink:

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 04:23:41 am »
I say when you have the stamina, start nap training and trying to tweak the routine.  let us know when you're ready
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07