Author Topic: Need help with starting EASY  (Read 945 times)

Offline mmmmchoc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:10:36 am »
I have been trying EASY with my 2 month old son for the last couple of weeks but there are still a couple of things im confused about,

My son is a definate power napper, he usually only sleeps for 30-40 mins at a time during the day,

The thing is im confused about how to work out the eat activity sleep cycle when he dosnt nap for long enough, here is an example of my day:

E: 20 mins

A: 50 mins-1hr

S:30 mins-40mins

but then he wakes up again....

so i try to stretch his feed out so he feeds every 2 1/12 hours (seriously the longest he can go) but then that cycle goes

A: 50 mins

E: 20 mins

S: 30 mins

it gets all muddled up because he is waking early,he is usually so exhausted by the time it is time for his next feed he is ready to go to sleep again.

how do i stretch out his feedings without mucking up the cycle? do i just feed him when he wakes up anyway? that means he is just feeding every 1 3/4 hours...

my son sleeps well at night from 10:30 to 5am and then until 7 so he is doing ok at night but i am seriously at a loss of how to get him to E.A.S on a 3 hour schedule without the nap to stretch out the feedings...

PLEASE!!!! any help would be great.

Thanks

Kylie

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Need help with starting EASY
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:42:16 am »
hi - at 2 months if he is not napping for at least 1 - 1 1/2 hrs per EASY cycle i would recommend 1) reviewing his A time - he might be overtired, 2) ensuring you have a consistent wind down routine (does not have to be long) and 3) use shh/pat to try to extend his naps - at 2 months you are at the peak of sleep training and i woudl not be giving up on the naps yet - meaning don't just get him up when he wakes - he needs to learn how to get himself through the light stage of sleep and into the next sleep cycle (if not 2 cycles more)

i woudl suggest you read the announcements in the sleep forum - specifically the naps board.

here is a link to the sleep interview that outlines a lot of great descriptions of the techniques.
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/special-sleep-interview-with-tracy-hogg-vt3187.html

and this has some great info from Matthew's mommy with different scenarios including (on page 1) short naps and getting through the stages of sleep
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/teaching-sleep-to-newborns-and-young-infants-vt39164.html
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified