Author Topic: What does all this SCREECHING mean??  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Carina's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What does all this SCREECHING mean??
« on: November 16, 2005, 14:14:28 pm »
My DD has started  shrill, high-pitched screeching throughout the day. I can't figure out what it means. Sometimes she does it and looks like she has a happy face. Sometimes she does it and looks fussy. Somtimes I can't tell.  She'll do it in the middle of eating, playing in her jumpy or on her mat, when she wakes up in the night or after 45 minutes of napping...

My husband thinks she is just testing out her voice.  I can't tell if I am supposed to DO something. Like--if she is in her jumpy, does it mean "get me out"? If eating, does it mean "i'm frustrated"?  If sleeping does it mean "I need help"?  Or do I just ignore it?

It's so shrill and annoying. I offered to take my husbands place at the office today, but I don't know anything about international tax...

Anyone have experience with this?

BTW--she's on a 4 hour EASY and is a week shy of 5 months old...Night sleeping is good. We've been struggling with naps still.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 03:27:24 am »
this is mostly her realizing she can use her voice in different ways - testing her voice out... and she will/is starting to see that she can use her voice to express herself vs. crying (which, along with facial expressions,  is the only way a newborn can communicate)

so you will just have to watch her and learn if she is tryig to say something or just playing - there is always something new to keep you on your toes.  i know that olivia is extremely vocal right now and sometimes it is just for fun and sometimes she is saying 1) leave my toys alone big sister 2) someone come play with me / pick me up or 3) where is everyone or 4) i told you i was done eating, etc

usually when accompanied by laughter you can assume she is playing and if making a face or giving you other signs with it you will know she is trying to communicate - just start observing and learn her "language"
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Carina's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 18:39:16 pm »
So...if I hear her doing this during her naps or at bed, should I stay out of the room since she's not actually crying?? 

i hope she learns some other way to communicate--this one makes me want to pull out my hair!