Author Topic: Which formula to try?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Which formula to try?
« on: November 16, 2005, 16:51:18 pm »
Hi all.  My DD is exlusively BF, but I am trying to find a formula that can be used at 1 feeding a day.  I have always suspected that she doesn't tolerate dairy well and largely excluded it from my diet.  So I bought a soy based formula and she threw it up both times I tried it.  Could this be an allergy to soy?  What should I try next?  Another brand of soy or should I try a milk based and see what happens :shock: ! I have tried soy and milk free (Allumentum (sorry about the spelling), but she hated it.
Any ideas?

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Which formula to try?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 21:34:42 pm »
How old is dd? Any particular reason you want to start with a bottle? If you suspect an allergy/intolerance to milk the best thing you could do is to carry on breastfeeding for a while longer to avoid introducing the trigger which could create a reaction.

Sara

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Which formula to try?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 14:03:52 pm »
Hi Sara, Thanks for answering.  DD will be 7 mo. this week.  I'm looking to find a formula because I am beginning to work more at my part time job and am having a difficult time with pumping.  I've never been able to get more than 2 1/2 ounces, and thats both sides. I pump twice a day and it still takes me two days to get a full feed for her.  I think I have trouble letting down with the machine.  I have an electric, double pump.  Good quality.  I tend to get the most when feeding DD on one side and pumping the other, but it gets a little complicated, holding her and the pump.  Anyway, so thats why I'm looking.  I will only need it for one feed because I usually only work 1/2 days.  I just hate to keep upsetting her stomach in the process of finding one that will work. :(  I was planning bf her for most of her feeds until she is 1 yr.  Is there a certain age at which she might be able to tolerate?

Jessica

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Which formula to try?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 20:49:21 pm »
Hi Jessica

It's a hard one as I'm not a doc but my gut also told me Liv was have some sort of reaction to milk through mine (even though the docs didn't believe me).

I carried on feeding and using expressed milk until she was about 8/9 months and then as we were getting ready to go bck to work I introduced an elemental formula (Neocate) agreed to by our paed doc (saw them when Liv was 6.5mnths after insisting there was an issue).

If you have concerns about milk then I would really try and keep with the feeding but if it proves stressful then you may when to research/investigate the formula options for milk allergic babies. I would however seek advice from your doc.

Keep in touch
Sara