Author Topic: 3 mo old can't solve short nap problem  (Read 974 times)

Offline sophiems

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
3 mo old can't solve short nap problem
« on: November 16, 2005, 18:33:04 pm »
Ok, I read everything I could on this site about the 45 min. napping problem at 3 mo, but still not having much success wtih this. 
First, my son seems to be waking at 1/2 hour, sometimes even 25 min.  So I'd set the clock to go in at 1/2 hour, I can see his eyes start to flutter and will gently place my hand on him.  Then he'll move and grunt, I apply pressure and he's just awake looking up at me and will start smiling, I guess happy that someone is greeting him when he wakes up .  I try lots of things to get him back to sleep but everything just makes him mad.  If I just leave him alone, he'll just play in his crib for awhile, eventually fussing to be picked up.  I was just thinking this is just all the sleep he needs, but obviously, then he's awake for another hour or so before the next feed and by then he's a big grump.  Then the rest of the day is a mess because he's ready for a nap sooner during the next cycle. 

At the same time he's been waking up in early morning, about 1-2 hours before normal and seems incredibly hungry.  I've been feeding him, then just feeding him again at his usual 7am time trying to get back on track.  It seems that if this is a growth spurt it's lasting 3 days. 

I wasn't sure if these problems are related.  Anyway, I'm mostly trying to get him back to taking 1.5 hour naps.  I have a toddler as well and I need the little one to sleep! 
Thanks for any advice
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 20:48:19 pm »
My daughter's 3 month growth spurt lasted a week.  So it could be a while yet before your son's growth spurt ends.  As for the naps, I wish I new.  I've been trying for a month now to make them longer and it just gets more and more frustrating every time.
Good Luck!
Tracey

Offline Mia & Scarlett's Mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Me and my girls (on a tidy day!)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 20:56:32 pm »
I could have written your post.  My dd will be 3 months on Saturday and has been having 20-45 minute naps for well over a month now.  Having become totally stressed out by it, I've decided to just let it go for the time being.  She fights sleep like mad during the day and I've has awful mornings and afternoons when nothing has worked and she's screamed herself to sleep.

My HV tells me its perfectly normal and a developmental problem which might correct itself when she's on solids, can move around abit more, do a bit more etc....she tells me it's one of the main problems she is asked about and it often sorts itself out....we'll see.  In the meantime I'm working hard on stopping my stomach churning when Mia's been up for an hour and is strating to ger cranky and I know I've got to wind her down for a nap - I never thought a three month old would turn me to a jibbering wreck!

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't help you - just thought what I'm going through at the mo may be of some comfort to you.  It helps me to know I'm not alone!

Louise
Louise -  Mom to Mia Alison born 19.08.05 
Our beautiful english rose and textbook/spirited baby.
New Mom to lovely Scarlett Grace - textbook/touchy

Offline bayneddie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 21:53:58 pm »
Same again from me, i'm afraid. No answers, just sympathy because we're going through the same thing. I didn't spot the problem until all naps became 45 minutes long. I've tried pat/shush but it just doesn't seem to work. Although the purists would no doubt say it's becuase i'm not doing it right (i don't swaddle, never have so it doesn't seem right to start this late, and i can't figure out the whole 'have them on their side, pat their back, shield their eyes' thing - don't know where they're supposed to be positioned or where i can sit/kneel where i'll be comfortable for up to forty minutes. Would love to see a demonstration of this).
I did PU/PD yesterday to get DD down for her second nap. Took 20 minutes. The first nap she went down fine because she wasn't over tired and so settled herself, as she does throughout the night (7-7). But i simply couldn't get her back to sleep after 45 mins. I think i was supposed to give her a feed, activity for ten mins and try again but i wasn't sure so thought i'd wait to try again when i am sure. Don't know when that will be though':?'