Author Topic: Changing Formula  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Lee-Stuart-Joshy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 16, 2005, 19:15:21 pm »
Hi,

Josh is now 14 weeks old and is on Cow and Gate Omneo Comfort for comfortable Digestion and he took to it really well whist he had chronic colic.

The problem is, he has now been a bit funny with his feeds (see my post on 'i think my baby is seriously ill' under 'crying, colic and reflux' for a more indepth idea of what is going on).
But basically he has been crying on his bottle a lot, but he is great and bringing up and down wind.

Anyway, im thinking of changing his formula as his poop is REALLY runny and i do not think he needs this type of milk anymore as it may be giving him tummy ache.

I have also been awarded milk tokens and the only milk they do is Cow and Gate Premium.

Basically im debating whether to swap to this as money is really tight at the mo as m partner has been off sick when he damaged his wrist at work.
These milk tokens could really help us out and perhaps Josh could do with a milk change...

What does everyone think?

Lee x

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Changing Formula
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:08:03 am »
Hi Lee

I don't have any experience with colic, but my DD was fed on Cow and Gate Premium and we had no problems what so ever.

The one thing I would say is not to use the Cow and Gate plus though (the hungry baby one). A friend of mine was advised to give this to her daughter who was a big eater and it caused terrible problems with constipation - she's nearly two now and still has problems with her BMs).

The C&G Premium was fine for us though.

love
Marie

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Changing Formula
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 20:10:18 pm »
Hi - just wondering how you are going?

Im currently in the process of changing William from Omneo Comfort to Cow and Gate normal formula now that he's 4 months old. My main reason is that I dont want his tum to get too lazy just coping with predigested proteins in the Omneo Comfort and the reduced lactose levels.  My HV said to do it one bottle at a time so its not a huge shock to the system so this week he's having one bottle a day of the Cow and Gate Plus (I'll look out for the constipation Marie) and then next week it will be 2 bottles and so on until he's switched. I'm then going to start the baby rice... all change Will!

Good luck with changing formulas!

Helen

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Changing Formula
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 20:53:24 pm »
DS used to be colicky and was on soy milk for about a month. after he could bring up wind himself without our help, i changed him back to normal formula and he is ok with it.

agree with helen said, do it one bottle at a time, that's what i do whenever i change formula. (i switched DS to follow-up formula after he was 6 month old).

good luck :)
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Changing Formula
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 21:05:31 pm »
helen, i would advise against baby rice. i know h/v suggests it as the first solids to try but it can be VERY constipating.ryan didn't really like it either .
  we were advised to switch to sma hungrier baby when ryan was 5mths old as he was hungry all the time and was gulping 9oz bottles.bad move this was very constipating,then we put him back on sma gold and got him doing normal bm's.he was still hungry so we tried the baby rice and this made him soo constipated he had an anal fissure ( a little tear )through straining.we then went to veggies.ryan still suffers with constipation but this is one of the symptoms of reflux.as ryan has constipation my experience might not be a good example but i have heard a lot of mums have said the same about baby rice.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Jays Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Changing Formula
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 22:28:53 pm »
Hi,

My DS now 14 weeks old, went from using Aptamil 1 to Omneo Comfort due to reflux aswell. He didn't do too well with the omneo comfort as it made his reflux worse- why we don't know. We were secretly glad as he had really smelly poos with it  :oops: . I then changed him to Cow & Gate Premium for hungrier baby when he was 8-9 weeks old and since then he's a changed baby. He became much more angelic and as you know, the first 3 months are the hardest but with the added pressure of dealing with reflux- you feel even more stressed.
His reflux has since got better and he's a bit more settled.
With all this said, however , you know your baby and you do what you think is best. Every child is different. You may find stage 1 milk is ok or not? I come to realise that raising a baby is a bit of trial and error.

HTH,
ang

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Changing Formula
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 09:33:03 am »
Aw poor Ryan... I'm sorry the baby rice didn't suit him. I'll try William on it for a day or two and see how he goes.. they are all different are't they and it will be good to be bearing this in mind when he starts to have it - dont want to blunder on blindly and cause the poor chap problems.

So far the one bottle a day of Cow and Gate Plus doesn't seem to have made any difference to William - he's been a little bit more possety but Ive put this down in part to the enormous amount of teething slobber he's producing too! I'll be doing the one bottle a day until Friday when Im going to up it to 2 and then watch what happens. I probably wont have the rice anywhere near him for another month until his formula is settled. He seems ok on just milk for now but I can see the signs that he will need something else soon.

H xxx