Author Topic: Not able to express much  (Read 1093 times)

Offline shabec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 17, 2005, 01:27:18 am »
I am very keen to re-introduce a dreamfeed to my 11 week old baby, but would prefer to give breastmilk via a bottle, so my DH can give it.  My problem is that I can only seem to express miniscule amounts of breastmilk at a time.  This morning I pumped for 10 min and didn't even manage to get 10mL!  I have been pumping straight after a feed, using a Medela electric pump.  If I persevere, is the amount likely to improve, or what other suggestions, other than introducing formula?

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Not able to express much
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:03:45 am »
Hi hun

I'm going to pop your post over to the breast feeding forum - I think you'll get more responses from there.

love
Marie

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
Not able to express much
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 15:35:18 pm »
It's not unusual to have small yields when you start pumping. Here are some tips- keep trying, try pumping after feeds and after a nice warm shower, massage breasts and think baby thoughts, start slow with suction control, try first thing in the am (milk supply is highest), try pumping while baby is feeding (I've never been able to master this!! :P )........you should be able for a bottle with some patience. I provide three bottles a day for my DS but when I started I was lucky to pump just an ounce or so.
Jeni

Offline shabec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Breast pump options for mum's with large nipples?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 22:14:33 pm »
Thanks for the tips, which I have/am now trying.  This is the fourth day of expressing, and so far managing to express a total of about 30mL per day! ...pathetic!!  I have just had another thought though - I have been told that I have "wonderful" nipples ie. they are very large! When I attach the breast pump, the funnel-part is only large enough for my nipple ie. there is no room for any areola or breast tissue.  So, to my way of thinking, that means there is only suction of the nipple which produces next to nothing, and no massage of the areola or surrounding breast tissue.  Surely, successful expressing relies on areola/breast massage, as opposed to just sucking on the nipple (same concept as breastfeeding).  Do any other mums with "large nipples" have any advice on which brand pump worked best for them?

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
Not able to express much
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 23:38:35 pm »
Hello... apparently, I have large nipples too.  :roll:  I use the Avent Isis manual pump that has the petal massager. It seems to help. I was not responding to an electrical pump at all... only drops at a time... with the manual pump, it seems to be better. It takes longer but what to do?

Also, I pump in between feedings at the halfway mark to increase supply too. Sometimes, if I feel DD did not take a full feeding, I will pump as well, just to empty my breasts and hopefully trick them into making more!!!

Good Luck!
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada