Author Topic: developmental milestones & sleep  (Read 1108 times)

Offline shem2005

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 17, 2005, 06:48:28 am »
It seems that developmental milestones can effect babies sleep - is this right?

My DD is 5 1/2 months and has just recently got two teeth and learnt how to sit. She was a great night sleeper and her naps were pretty good to, being 1.5 -2 hours. We have had to work hard on her naps because they do go awol from time to time.

But the last week her naps are bad and now so is her night.

If it is developmental, how long usually until they go back to normal?

Do I just go with the flow until they return to normal or remain consistent and wait it out?

She is waking from naps after 1 hour so I am not sure whether to persist and to pat/shh to get closer to the 2 hour. Or she will go back to doing it herself, or if i don't be consistent the bad naps and nights will stay

Any ideas?

Offline Cecilia~Olivia's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
developmental milestones & sleep
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 15:24:56 pm »
This happened with Olivia, regularly, took about 9-12 days to get back on track.  I would do the pat/shh for a week for both naps, your lo will finally get the hint.  If you are not successful after about 40min, stop & grt the babe up till next nap.  I found after a week of pat/shh, I would put Olivia down 15min later (not to make her extremely overtired) & our pat/shh sessions would only take abot 15-20min by day 5-9 & back on track by day 12 at the latest.  Just when you get things as close to perfect as you can, BUMP, another milestone/developmental or cold strikes! :roll:
It does not seem like a long time to me now, but sure seemed like forever when we were going through it.  It is worth the effort, trust me.  Olivia was very spirited & we invested alot of time in her sleeping/eating habits & it pays off tremedously in the long run, now that I have survived it.  HTH & good luck.