Author Topic: Teat flow question  (Read 1286 times)

Offline J&Jsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
Teat flow question
« on: November 17, 2005, 11:04:03 am »
My DS is 9 weeks old and currently has 2 formula bottles a day and the rest breast. I am using the slow flow teats with just 1 hole in them. However, I've been told that by this stage he should be ready to move onto medium flow teats - with three holes in them. Now I definitely wouldn't go from 1 to 3, but should I move to a 2 hole teat? My concern is that if it is too free flowing, he will get lazy on the breast and not suck properly.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Teat flow question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 11:10:35 am »
Hi Melissa

If you're BFing as well as bottle I would say that you're right to be worried about the fast flow teats making him lazy - the milk just flows right out of them - no work involved.

Had you thought about trying him with a  Haberman teat? They're quite expensive but very good for combining breast and bottle. A friend of mine combined feeding for both her LOs using the haberman and had no problems switching between the two.

love
Marie

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
Teat flow question
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 13:07:41 pm »
does your lo take a long time to feed from the slow flow teat? If not, you can stick with your existing ones a while longer.  If he starts to take ages to take a feed, gets frustrated or starts falling asleep more during a bottle feed then these would be signs to increase the flow rate. 

I would go to the 2 hole teats first rather than the 3 hole ones as you dont want to overwhelm him with a much faster flow.  There is no law to say that they have to use a certain flow at a certain age, there is only a general age guideline. Some babies will move to a faster rate sooner/later than others.  The alternative would be to try the variable flow teats (they do say from 3 months + but again that is just for guidance)

If your lo takes a bottle ok already I wouldnt shell out on a haberman feeder as they are too expensive to use as an everyday bottle.

Seona