Author Topic: Breast Milk - 20 mths after terminating BF  (Read 1153 times)

Offline mcruari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
Breast Milk - 20 mths after terminating BF
« on: November 17, 2005, 13:17:40 pm »
I would love to know if anyone has/has had the same problem.
I stopped BF my DD when she was 8mths as I was drying up (well I thought so :( ) and I had to go on pain killers :cry:
Well now my DD is 28mths and I still have breast milk. I waited about 3 mths after I stopped BF before going to the Gynacologist and she then gave me the tablets to get rid of the excess milk. Not even that did it :?
I have recently had a few female hormones tested and they are fine so now I don't know which road to go down or if I need to investigate further :?  :?
Now the milk I have is only when I stimulate my nipple, so it is not a problem, as such, but I don't think it is normal, or is it? :?  :?
I'd love to know how many of you have had the same or similar situation occur and what you did about it.

Thanks for your help.

Sinead
Sinéad

Offline birdie

• Showing Appreciation 127
  • Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 15:01:00 pm »
I understand it is normal. I too one of my group home girls to the doctor for the same problem. Her daughter will be two in December and she still lactates. Like you, it only happened when she stimulated her nipples. The doctor would not give her anything to dry up the milk. Something about the pill in the US not being safe or going off the market. Like you, they checked her hormones. Everything was fine. In the end, the doctor explained that some women will always lactate.

I hope this helps.
Wendy
Certified Birth Doula (CBI)

Mom of Four Angels: WENDY

Always Remembered: REECE BRADFORD born still at 38 weeks (August 4, 2006)

Our Miracle Boy: IAN MICHAEL (October 17, 2007)

annamum

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 00:22:35 am »
There used to be women called "wet nurses". They had milk even after their child stopped breastfeeding and they often were hired by rich families to nurse their children. It was not uncommon and many babies lives were saved in the times when formula was not invented yet.

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 09:49:53 am »
Sinead

I'm just moving this over to the BF forum as it doesn't really belong in the Couch.

love
Marie