Author Topic: Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle  (Read 2172 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« on: November 17, 2005, 16:23:16 pm »
In another thread on supply problems, someone mentioned that fenugreek works better in combination with blessed thistle.  What is blessed thistle, and what dosage would you take?

I am currently taking 2 capsules of fenugreek 3 times a day.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 22:23:43 pm »
What I think works best is More Milk Plus by MotherLove.  It is a combo of fenugreek and blessed thistle and some others.  It worked way better for me than just fenugreek capsules.  Good luck.
Ree November 2004

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 22:48:34 pm »
Where would I find that?  I didn't see anything like it in our natural foods store.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

annamum

Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 00:01:27 am »
I am not sure but I think that More Milk Plus is something you can get online. PP will have to give you info on that.

As for the Blessed Thistle, it is true that it works better in combination with Fenugreek. Blessed Thistle is also a herb that increases milk supply in lactating women. If you want to take it, you probably should take it 3 times a day one or two capsules, check what is a recommended dose on a package.

"Blessed Thistle is a Mediterranean weed; it is occasionally found in North America. The dried aerial parts are used as a galactagogue;  it is considered to be one of the best galactagogue herbs. It is usually taken in capsules or as a tea. It is said to work by stimulating the flow of blood to the mammary glands, and thereby enriching the milk flow.
Blessed thistle was historically reputed to be a heal-all, and was even said to heal the plague.   It is recommended for birthing and nursing mothers because of its hemostatic properties, which reduce the likelihood of postpartum hemorrhage, and because of its antidepressant effects." from lowmilksupply.com

Offline dkjokisch

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 00:28:32 am »
Thanks.  I'll look for the Blessed Thistle when I go out tomorrow.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 15:58:47 pm »
I got the More Milk Plus at Trader Joe's.  But you can order it here http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_plus.php

If the capsules aren't working well enough I would try this.  I had major problems with my supply and I loved this.  The taste is bad but not bad in a little oj.  I know several friends that had better results with this then just capsules. 

Good luck.
Ree November 2004