Author Topic: Night Feeds question  (Read 1099 times)

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Night Feeds question
« on: November 17, 2005, 21:22:33 pm »
This is a sleep related feeding question and hope that you can help. A few weeks ago DS had a chest infection and could hardly breathe so I introduced a paci to help get him to sleep. Prior to that I was inadvertently feeding to sleep and then doing pat/sssh which was taking me about 2 hours every night. The paci worked really well and he spat it out on his way to sleep. But now it has become a prop and he is waking more and more at night.

Last night he woke at 11.30pm, 2am, 4am and then 7am. I tried to give him the paci at 2am but he started crying so I fed him. Same thing happened at 4am. He really just wants boob. But I don't think he's hungry. I think he just wants to get back to sleep...

I'm going to teach him to fall asleep independently but I'm confused about the nights. Should I just decide when I'm going to feed him if he wakes to feed and stick to those times??

He's a big boy - 17lb6oz at 14 weeks so I'm not worried about weight gain and I know he doesn't need to be eating every two hours during the night. I think he just doesn't know how to get himself back off.

So what would be a good night feeding schedule for a babe of his age and weight. 11pm and 4am? Or  1am and 5am?

I'm feeling quite confused generally and would love some insight as I'm getting bogged down in all of this :cry:

TIA

J
x
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Night Feeds question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:37:14 am »
We started having a lot of nightwakings with Max around 4 months. He had an odd growth spurt, but he was nursing round the clock for about a week.

Thing is, he could suck his thumb and get back to sleep on his own. He just preferred me.  :roll:

I ended up like you suggested, shooting for 2 night feeds. The other times I did pat/shh, and he learned pretty quick. He still woke to feed twice for quite a while (1 and 5) and I was happy to continue since he only woke twice.  :oops:

He went through several periods of teething and developmental milestones and sep anxiety where he woke frequently and wanted to nurse. Sometimes he was hungry, but often it seem like he just needed me.

LOL, what a messy response, but  :wink:  you did post in the BFing forum and not the sleep one!  :lol:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Night Feeds question
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 02:43:35 am »
Jo, Yes if it was me I would decide when you are willing to feed & stick with it... he really only needs 2 (maybe even 1) feed at night. But you can cut back again if you feel it is working :)
Ben sounds so much like Aiden & I'm sure it has something to do with them having the the same birthday.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Night Feeds question
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 21:24:49 pm »
Thanks ladies! Stacy - yes that all makes perfect sense. To be honest was a bit of a messy question but I posted here as I knew you'd understand! :wink: DS can suck his thumb as well but doesn't do so to much affect so I'm hoping that if I take paci away this will encourage him to do so :? I think as long as I know that he CAN get himself back to sleep I'm not so bothered about the night wakings either :oops:
Good to hear from you again Kate! Hope things are ok with you all...I remembered what you said about Aiden feeding every 3 hours day and night - yes that seems familiar!

Thanks again!

J
x
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005