Author Topic: Possible separation anxiety - Frequent night wakings  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Evie'sMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Possible separation anxiety - Frequent night wakings
« on: November 17, 2005, 22:39:05 pm »
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help.  My DD turned 7 months just over a week ago.  For the last 2 weeks she has been waking frequently in the night.   Usually all I need to do is put my hand on her chest or hold her hand and say "shhh" a few times and she'll go back to sleep.  The problem is that I'm having to do this several times a night, sometimes every 15-30 minutes!

Evie naps well in the day, doesn't bother when I leave a room so I'm not sure if it is separation anxiety or just a phase?  She just seems to need some kind of reassurance that I'm there in order to get herself back to sleep.  In the past two weeks we have only had one night where she has slept through 7-7 without stirring and needing the reassurance.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?  I'm hoping it's a short-term thing that will sort itself out???

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Mandy

Abbysmum

I know what you're going through
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 18:45:26 pm »
Hi Mandy,
I read your post and just wanted to let you know - unfortunetly I dont have a whole lot of advcie for you. I am in the same boat, only my daughter started doing that at 6 1/2 months and now is 8 1/2 months - still doing it and I'm having to sit by her crib in the middle of the night holding her hand for up to 30 minutes.
Sometimes it gets better for a few days and she's an angel - just needs a quick bottle at 4ish, but sometimes we can be up for 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours!
I have still not found a solution - Im nearly 3 months pregnant and desperately needing to get Abby under control before I'm getting up to 2 babies!
  :P  :roll:  :oops:

Sorry it this bums you out but I strongly suggest you try and find a solution before you are stuck in my rut!

Offline MegC

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 14:28:00 pm »
Hi-
My daughter is 7 1/2 months and has never really been a  great sleeper- but recently has been making it through the night- until the last week or so- I am having the exact same problem... She wakes- if I go in and put my hand on her back- she settles and goes back- it could take 5 min it could take 30 min- if I leave the room- she crys and crys!!!   The past 3 nights it has happened 3-4 times a night!!!

I am at a loss, and desparate for sleep!!!   Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks! Meg

Offline MegC

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 14:41:06 pm »
Hi-
My daughter is 7 1/2 months and has never really been a  great sleeper- but recently has been making it through the night- until the last week or so- I am having the exact same problem... She wakes- if I go in and put my hand on her back- she settles and goes back- it could take 5 min it could take 30 min- if I leave the room- she crys and crys!!!   The past 3 nights it has happened 3-4 times a night!!!

I am at a loss, and desparate for sleep!!!   Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks! Meg

Offline yyll35

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 21:49:37 pm »
I can add myself to this list.
My 9 month old was doing fine until daddy left, babysitter was letting him cry it out, and we weren't consistent with PU/PD.  My baby falls asleep with music on so tonight I will try keeping it on all night. I will let you know how it goes.  He woke up 4 times last night.  My sister says I should let him cry it out but it seems cruel if he really is going through sep. anxiety to do this.  I'll let you know, post any progress :)

Abbysmum

Update:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 22:00:29 pm »
I spoke to my aunty who suggested she needed more solids and was waking because she is actually still hungry. I have since expanded her intake - instead of just fruit at lunch she has fruit and a slice of bread, then dinner I have added extra also. I have noticed that she has stopped waking for long periods of tme. She has occasionally slept through  the night since but even when she does't - its a quick bottle and back to sleep.

A few times she's tried staying awake and I have waited 2 minutes, gone and layed her back down and held her hand for 2 minutes, then go away for 2 minutes etc until finally she went to sleep.

Since I have been working on these things, I've had much more sleep.

Good luck! :lol: