Author Topic: 10 Most Dangerous Toys of 2005  (Read 1808 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
10 Most Dangerous Toys of 2005
« on: November 17, 2005, 23:34:18 pm »
I thought this article was interesting.  I don't think I would have bought most of these toys for my kids anyway, though it's good to know about the dolls because you never think of those as hazards.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/17/news/midcaps/dangerous_toys/index.htm?cnn=yes

Quote (selected)
"World Against Toys Causing Harm, also known as W.A.T.C.H., issued its annual 10 Worst Toys list for 2005 on Thursday. Most of the toys on the list -- which aren't ranked in a particular order -- could cause choking or face and eye injuries."

* "...Target's Baby Serena - Baby I'm Yours doll, which comes with a rattle and bottles that can be disassembled into small parts that could be swallowed."

* "Fisher Price's Little Mommy Bath Baby Doll, made by Mattel, also comes with a bottle whose parts could cause choking, the consumer safety organization said."

* "Animal Alley Ponies, distributed by Toys R Us, can cause ingestion injuries, W.A.T.C.H. said. The soft, colorful ponies aimed at infants have long, fiberlike hair that can be hazardous."

* "City Blocks, distributed by IQ Preschool - Small World Toys, also made the list because of the potential for ingestion and choking injuries."

* "The Camouflage Water Bomb Fun Kit from Pioneer Worldwide -- a slingshot capable of forcefully firing "water bombs" -- could cause eye injuries, W.A.T.C.H. said."

* "The Splatmatic Pistol Splat Paintball Shooter, which fires paint balls at a high velocity, also made the list because of its potential for eye, face and other impact injuries, as did Hasbro's Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith Energy Beam Blaster, which comes with pressurized "energy-beam string canisters."

* "W.A.T.C.H. also said The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King Uruk-Hai Crossbow set, which catapults arrows at high velocity, is dangerous because of its potential to cause eye injuries."

* "Geospace International's 38" Air Kicks Kickaroos Anti-Gravity Boots, which fit over shoes and help children bounce around, also made the list. The manufacturer instructs users to "always remain in control of your motions," but that directive is unrealistic, W.A.T.C.H. said, citing the toy's potential for head or other impact injuries."

* "Toy Biz's Fantastic 4 Electronic Thing Hands -- a pair of oversized fists -- made the list because it could cause blunt impact injuries."
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 21:33:59 pm »
Thanks for the listing!  You're right, most I probably wouldn't have bought anyways!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 22:20:05 pm »
Quote (selected)
* "The Splatmatic Pistol Splat Paintball Shooter, which fires paint balls at a high velocity, also made the list because of its potential for eye, face and other impact injuries, as did Hasbro's Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith Energy Beam Blaster, which comes with pressurized "energy-beam string canisters."

* "W.A.T.C.H. also said The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King Uruk-Hai Crossbow set, which catapults arrows at high velocity, is dangerous because of its potential to cause eye injuries."

you're kidding - toys that shoot out sharp pointy projectiles are DANGEROUS?!?! next thing you're gonna tell me is that i shouldn't let my kids play with knives....   :P

all fun & games until someone loses an eye  :lol:

thanks for the list though.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy