Author Topic: 8months old and up at least 10 times a night!!  (Read 922 times)

Offline Debbie Bailie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8months old and up at least 10 times a night!!
« on: December 31, 2005, 21:23:17 pm »
My son was only waking a couple of times a night until we took him to America.  Since then (End Sept) he has had two chest infections, viral infection and now he can be waking constantly all night!  When I started him on three solids a day it was as if colic had returned with a vengence.  We now seem to have that under control but now he is continually waking sometimes within half an hour of putting him down.  I am due to return to work next week and at my wits end what to do as I will be up at 6am.  He is not looking bottle and sometimes just shh/pat will do other times he is crying sore I have to lift and cuddle him. I have tried letting him cry at first to see if he will fall asleep but this never works either.  Can anyone give me any help - time is running out! :(

P.S. During the day he is the most pleasant happy and contented child anyone could wish for!!!!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
8months old and up at least 10 times a night!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 01:09:18 am »
Poor little bub! :( And poor Mom! :(

Two thoughts come to mind:

If he hasn't got any teeth yet, it's possible he's teething. And if he DOES have teeth, maybe he's getting MORE! Try some Infant Motrin at bedtime and see if it makes a difference - if so, you're on to something, although make sure it's not any other source of pain like an ear infection.

The other thought is a little more obscure: since he's has two chest infections, has he been on antibiotics? If so, ask your ped about probiotics. You should be able to get some in a powder form at a store like Whole Foods or other health food chain - they even make some especially for babies - that you can mix right in with a bottle or with food. The antibiotics can mess up the intestinal flora, which in turn affects digestion (and the immune system, believe it or not), and while he may be distracted during the day from either tummy pain or teething, at night when it's quiet, he's more likely to notice pain or discomfort.

OK, I did think of one other thing: Is he OK when you're out of his line of sight, like if you leave the room he's in during the day? 9 months is prime time for separation anxiety for some kids, but some go earlier or later. If this is it, you're kinda stuck for maybe a week till it passes.

HTH - let us know! :)