Author Topic: Feeding times and sleeping thru night for 6 wk old! Help!  (Read 1079 times)

Offline joceyjaime

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Feeding times and sleeping thru night for 6 wk old! Help!
« on: November 18, 2005, 05:54:42 am »
Question - My lo is 6 weeks old. So, he should eat 8 times a day. That would be every 3 hours in a 24-hour period. But, we feel like we should be trying to get him to sleep through the night. Does this just mean that we let him sleep at night and then feed more often during the day to get those 8 feedings in???

We are confused! Any help would be GREAT!

Offline mattandcindy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 04:33:08 am »
There are SO many different approaches. You have to do what you are comfortable with. What we did was feed every 2.5 hrs during the day and let her go ask long as she would sleep (up to 5hrs) at night. Most days she got 8 feedings in but some days she only got 7 in. I stressed and stressed and stressed about it but in the end she gained great weight and is now 9 months old and in the 75% for weight.
If your goal is getting your lo to sleep through the night then I would try to somewhat struggle daytime feeding (based on hunger cues of course) to get a majority of feedings in during the day.
If your goal is 8 feedings then you will probably have to wake at night to get them in.
Good Luck!
Cindy

annamum

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 23:08:39 pm »
Some babies like to eat more frequently prior to going to sleep at night. Tracy calls this cluster feeding. Some babies do this naturally and ask to feed more often at that time of the day, with some you may need to just offer. If you do nurse usually every 2.5 or 3 hours during a day, you may want to feed every 2 hours in the afternoon/evening. This way your baby may be able to go longer stretch at night. Good luck!