Author Topic: need some advice re: 1 week old feeding  (Read 983 times)

Offline OneMagicMummyv2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
need some advice re: 1 week old feeding
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:50:45 am »
Hello all. 

been away for ages but im back now.  lots have happened recently
i got married on 8th October and i had my son harrison-William a week ago.  my 3 yrold has started nursery and my 1 yr old is gonna be walking soon.

i am finding BFding easy but am a bit puzzled by Harrison.  he seems to beable to drain one sind in 5-10 mins and falls asleep so i change his hnappy and try to rouse him abit he will then suckle a little more and tends to store that in hias mouth and use me as a dummy then goes back to sleep.  what can this mean? am i letting him snakc or is he a efficient feeder.  he will go 3-3 1/2 hours between feeds.

he also falls asleep on boob for last 5 mins and is really hard to rouse so i try for 10-15 mins and then consider him into the S of the routine but after another 15-20 mins he is awake again and gets hiccups andf after this it can take ages to get himto sleep again.  he seems to want to suck again but i i offer him boob he will suck for a few mins and drop off so i know hes not hungrey still or he will suck and then let a torrent of milk out his mouth. 

sleeping is hard to i have tried the Shuh pat but he just keeps screaming or waking up after a 20-30 mins (except this morning he slept from 9am till 10.30 but his feed was due at 10. )

im sure if i let him he would go 4 hours but i dont wanna try that just yet.  he wakes at around 2 am for a feed and is really hard to settle so ends up in with me and slept right from 3am till 7am.  then had feed at 7 and went to bed at 9 slept till10.25 and had a feed which took 8mins than a break/nappy change then 5 mins and he fell asleep and i put him back to bed as i could not rouse himand he is still sleeping now.  maybe i have been interveining too fast.  any advice would be great.  im starting to doubt myself and am terrefied at prospect of 3 under 4s on sunday when my DD comes back from her break with her Nanny Carol.

thanks

Kiz
and harrison 1 week today

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
need some advice re: 1 week old feeding
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 14:33:14 pm »
That sounds exactly like my son at that age.  He is almost 6 weeks.  DS has done well and been gaining weight.  He has always been a fast eater.  In the beginning I kept trying to get him to be awake a tiny bit for "A" time but really eating is the activity.  I would just put him back down if he wants to sleep.  Even yesterday at almost 6 weeks ds didn't want to be awake after a feeding so  I just put him back down and he slept for another 2 hours.  I worried about how it would affect his night but he did just fine.
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05