Author Topic: changing from full BF to daytime bottle feeding  (Read 1203 times)

Offline potatoe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
changing from full BF to daytime bottle feeding
« on: November 18, 2005, 14:12:28 pm »
Hi, my son is 7 weeks old and fully breastfed.
I am due to return to work in 2 weeks time. My plan is to continue breastfeeding at night and bottle feed with EBM during the day by my in laws.
I'm now started on the regime for 2 days. I am having a lot of problems getting him to take the bottle during the day. He seems to be sucking the teats as if he is suckling from the breast, therefore he is not getting milk from the bottle and he gets very frustrated. I think he is confused.
Anyone can help my son to distinguish between the teat and the nipple?

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 14:36:58 pm »
Hi!
If you haven't already, check out this link - there's tons of info!!  :D

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/share-your-tips-for-getting-b-fed-babies-to-take-a-bottle-vt9215.html

:D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline potatoe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 05:36:28 am »
thank you! I will look into the link.
My son has gone to daycare. He is super cooperative at daycare and easily gulp down milk with no prob. But when he is at home, he'll twist and turn his head at the bottle..:( hopefully he will get better...
Is it too much for him to drink 5 oz at 13 pounds?I'm worried that the ppl at daycare might overfeed him..

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 15:00:44 pm »
Quote from: potatoe
Is it too much for him to drink 5 oz at 13 pounds?I'm worried that the ppl at daycare might overfeed him..

I don't think so...if I remember right, Zoe drank 4-6 ounces at a pretty young age too  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Aiden and Marlo's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 18:02:48 pm »
Sounds about right to me - I'm doing this myself as I just started work again yesterday.  My dd is 6 1/2 weeks old - 11 1/2 lbs and is taking between 4-5oz per feeding and in the evenings I actually try to "top her off" with a bit of breastmilk.  I'm only bf-ing her from approximately 8pm - 6am and she's getting formula during the day.

{{{HUGS}}} good luck to you!  And keep up the breastfeeding as long as you can so your dc will get your immunities!  :D

Oh - I'm sure you know this already, but he's probably smelling your breastmilk when you're trying to feed him the bottle - maybe you could have your dh or someone else give it to him at home and then switch to you when he's had a bit and isn't as hungry?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori