Author Topic: Sudafed  (Read 1081 times)

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Sudafed
« on: November 18, 2005, 15:25:18 pm »
Has anyone found that sudafed dries up your milk?  I have a cold and I am trying to only use it at bedtime because I read on kellymom that it can cause decreased prolactin levels, especially in a Mom with an older nursling.  It sucks not being able to take any during the day but I don't ewant what little bit of milk I have left to dry up.  Since she has gone down to 2 a day I can tell there is not as much left anymore.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Sudafed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 19:39:43 pm »
OK, here's what I have on cold medicine from The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins, who is a nurse and lactation consultant.  I got her book because the lactation consultant who did my breastfeeding class recommended it for the drug reference.  Anyway...

Quote (selected)
Oral decongestants can cause agitation or fussiness in your infant, and , most importantly, they may decrease your milk supply.  I you are planning on using an oral product, choose one with 30 milligrams or less of pseudophedrine or phenylpropanolomine per dose; avoid sustianed-release products.  Nasal sprays (Afrin, Nostrilla) are preferable to oral drugs.

As for antihistamines...
Quote (selected)
High doses of antihistamines, particularly when in combination with a decongestant ,may perhaps decrease milk flow.  Use no more than necessary to control symptoms; often a single dose at bedtime is sufficient.  If you are planning to use an oral product, choose one with 2 milligrams or less of chlorpheniramine or brompheniramine per dose, or 25 milligrams or less of diphenhydramine per dose, and avoid sustaine-release products.  Loratadine and fexofenadine are well tolerate by infants and are preferred over the older sedating antihistamines.  Cetirizine is a new antihistamine that can cause drowsiness and may possibly affect lactation.  It is not a good choice while nursing.

So, like I said, this came from a book, and not any doctor, so you can take it as you wish.  I hope this helps you with what you were looking for, or gives you some good alternatives.  And, most of all, I hope you feel better soon!