Author Topic: almost two, still waking!  (Read 1229 times)

Offline wendywoos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
almost two, still waking!
« on: November 15, 2005, 14:35:59 pm »
Emily will be two in Jan and has only slept through a handfull of times. I think I know the biggest problem and that is that she needs her bottle of juice/milk to get back to sleep, it is my fault I know, I should have been firmer at the beggining, and never allowed her to have that prop to get to sleep in the first place. :(
Thing is, how do I get her out of it, as its getting rediculous and wakes at least once, two to three on average. :o
I'm mean, shes not a little baby anymore, and I probebly should look at ditching the bottle now anyway, as I think that is the only way to end these wakes. Problem is how? :?  And nights are sure gonna be hellish for a little while. But for her sake as well as ours i'v got to get on top of it, as its not good for her teeth either!
HAs anyone else had a similar problem, how do I deal with this, as much as I hate to hear her upset, I can go the harsh route if need be as I think it will be better in the long run.
Should I just ditch all the bottles, let her have a beaker of milk before bed/nap etc, and literally go cold turkey, or is there a better approach to this. :)
Also she is dry at home during the day, and night dryness will follow, but not with the quanitie she is drinking at the moment!

Any advice greatfully recieved :D

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 01:53:40 am »
Hi there,

At your daughter's age, she is able to understand when you reason with her.  You know your daughters personality, so you will know best whether to go cold turkey or not.  I will tell you that we went cold turkey - no more bottles at age 12 months and never looked back.  It is good to change the routine a bit when you do it.  If the bottle is the last thing before bed, then I would change it and give it to her a little before hand, then read books or sing or whatever else, then say good night.  Do this for a few days or so and then instead of a bottle, you can explain she is a big girl now, so she gets to use a special cup.  Go out and buy her her favorite sippy cup.  Then use that at bed time. At that time I would explain to her that since she is such a big girl, she doesn't need bottles anymore at night time either and that we are going to say bye bye to the bottles.  When she wakes up at night to have a drink, be consistent and say, you can have a drink in the morning, we don't need a drink at night anymore.  If she gets up repeatedly, keep saying the same thing repeatedly.  Praise her in the morning when she has gone all night without a bottle and give her her special cup.  Consistency wins the battle.. Good luck!
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline wendywoos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 14:55:52 pm »
:D
HI, just an update to my post.

I decided to take Emily off of bottles completely offering her a beaker of juice during night, (this way it wasn't so harsh as to ignore her completely to start with) which she refused, cried/moaned for a while, then by the third night slept through! yipppee.  8)
So thats two nights in a row so far, fingers crossed, we're getting there.
So she now has a beaker of milk with me on the sofa whilst we read a book, then she takes that book to bed, no bot bot, then she settles herself when shes good and ready.
I have been giving her a bottle of milk when we get up, cos we like our cuddle on our own in the mornings.
But wow, such an improvment. Thanks for  the advice. x Wendy :D