Author Topic: How long can your 9 week old stay awake between naps?  (Read 13827 times)

Offline J&Jsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
How long can your 9 week old stay awake between naps?
« on: November 19, 2005, 16:06:00 pm »
My 9 week old always starts yawning 1 hour after he's been up regardless of how frenetic or relaxed his activity time is. I am sort of using EASY but also trying to use Gina Ford because I felt he was just getting stuck on a two hour EASY cycle and not progressing. But Gina Ford's routines require him to be awake a LOT longer and he just can't do it. The most he can stay awake is 2 hours but the last 45 mins of that he is grizzly and is hard to settle when I eventually do try. Is he just a sleepy baby or is only being awake for an hour normal at this age?

Thanks
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline rhea

• Rhea Mom to Ella Marie
  • New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Ella Marie
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 16:02:26 pm »
Hi,

my daughter is 8 weeks old and she is the same her cycle is like this

E - 15-20 mins (wind 5 mins)
A - Nappy change and play - 15 mins
S - (4S's) upto to 30 mins - She will splle most of the time doe 1.30 to 2 hrs

cycle repeats every 3 to 4 hours

hope this helps

Ella Marie Mum
UK
Rhea Mom to Ella Marie

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 17:27:06 pm »
Hiya

Will is now 17 weeks old and he can sometimes only manage an hour. I think the awake time that you are experiencing with your LO sounds about right compared to what Will was doing at that age.
Im afraid Im of the school where if WIll needs to sleep I let him sleep no matter how long he's been awake - if I dont I get a grisly monster!

Helen xx

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 19:02:22 pm »
My 10 week lo can handle just over an hour (barely, if I go much longer I get a grizzly monster too) and was doing a 2.5/3 hour EASY until yesterday when she insisted upon eating every 2 hours... same today.  She did sleep 8 hours last night though, with dreamfeed.  Hopefully just a growth spurt here.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Rooster

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:01:55 pm »
My daughter is also 9 weeks old and her awake time varies from day to day. When I feed her in the morning, (usually 7 a.m.) she will eat and fall asleep, then sleep for 1 hour and 30 minutes, and then eat and sleep agin (the cycle repeats itself) Her awake time is usually in the afternoon and in the evening - and somewhere in between there she will feed/sleep. We will do some activity time in the afternoon - she will yawn when she has had enough of her activity time. I usually follow my daughter's lead and let her sleep when she wants to.
Teresa

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 13:51:21 pm »
when ryan was 9wks old he had hardly any awake time.it was feed,change and sleep.he wouldn't even wake for feed we had to wake him.he didn't go on EASY untill he was 5mths and he put himself on it.we just went by what he wanted.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Mia & Scarlett's Mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Me and my girls (on a tidy day!)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:37:27 am »
Hi Melissa

I tend to follow the gina ford routines now that I've cracked the 45 minute nap monster.  But I don't follow them to the letter.  I stick to the same feeding times each day and napping tends to be 45 minutes morning then 2 1/2 hours at lunchtime then around an hour in the afternoon.

My LO seems happier doing it this way.  My sister in law follows the gf routine too and she, like me, finds her daughter can't stay awake for the times recommended.  I think 2 hours is far too long for babies under 3 months.  I tend to keep mia up for 90 mins max.
Louise -  Mom to Mia Alison born 19.08.05 
Our beautiful english rose and textbook/spirited baby.
New Mom to lovely Scarlett Grace - textbook/touchy