Author Topic: Could it be really bad trapped wind?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline rubysoda

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Could it be really bad trapped wind?
« on: November 19, 2005, 23:01:00 pm »
My baby is still crying when feeding and i really thought it could be a reflux...or am i just reading loads and trying to diagnose her with this myself? All the docs don't seem concerned and i'm just wondering if it is just really bad wind? However, my lo doesn't burp much when winded and infacol, colief, gripe water etc hasn't worked...feeding time is pretty painful and i'm conviced she is petrified of the bottle because of the pain it is giving her...she'll drink say 3oz then scream in pain and when finally calm again we try to give her more and as soon as the bottle touches her lips (even without milk entering her mouth) she screams again. Any advice?
love from ruby

Offline stressybessy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 23:15:27 pm »
Not too sure but tracy says relux babies sleep best upright in a swing or car seat so that could be a sign to look out for.. I know GPs can give you baby gaviscon if it is relux, my neice having issues with this at the minute too.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 00:51:36 am »
Ruby have you looked at the reflux board here? There are some stickies at the top that tell you symptoms of dysphagia, reflux, etc. That might give you some help... what about a milk intolerance? It does sound to me like something is going on and I think it's worth looking into... I also think a mummy's instinct is always right... How old is she? How's her weight gain going? Can you give a bit more info? Hang in there, there are a lot of great mums here who can give you some support!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline rubysoda

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:19:43 am »
She is 9 weeks with great weight gain, her fussiness started at 6-7 weeks and we have even been prescribed infasoy by the doc last week but it hasn't changed anything...she sleeps from 10-8 each night and is generally ok other than during and just after a feed...it is like she doesn't want to be moved as well, just after her feed...could that point to wind?
love from ruby

Offline rubysoda

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 09:27:33 am »
I am also going to try some diff bottles...any suggestions...i tried changing teats but that didn't help either...?
love from ruby

Offline bayneddie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:18:43 am »
Hi Ruby
I had a similar problem with my DD who is now 12 weeks old and happily seems to be growing out of it now. I too thought she might have had a touch of reflux but she does actually prefer being laid flat on her back than upright so that didn't seem to figure. We also tried infacol and colief but dropped them both after no positive results (apart from nice smelling burps!). I've tried every bottle going i reckon and the ones bubba preferred were Chicco angled physiological ones, see http://www.chicco.com.ph/Activities/chicco_angledbottle.htm
DD seems to like the latex teat on these as opposed to silicon ones and they definitely seem to reduce her wind. Trouble is, i guess every baby is different and what works for one is pants for another. I tried the Dr Brown bottles which are supposed to tbe THE best for colic/wind problems and bubba screamed the house down when she had a go with them! All i can really suggest is trial and error and time...
Good luck

Offline rubysoda

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:11:05 am »
thats good to know, found the doc brown bottles useless too, wasted more money on something that claims to have a miracle cure....trying gripe water now!!! I guess i'll try anything to try and make babies life more happier x
love from ruby

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:31:28 am »
Hi Ruby

Have you tried some baby massage. That's really good for relieveing trapped with in babies that don't like to part with it!

Try massaging her tummy in a C shape around her belly button that might give her some relief. Also doing gentle peddling motions with her legs might help.

love
Marie

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 16:39:53 pm »
A few suggestions, post back if you want more info,

- used a cranial osteopath to cure DD badly trapped wind at that age.  Avery non-invasive, gentle, child friendly therapy that does wonder for this tyoe if thing,

- I use boots othodontic teats which are flat and have a cirss cross teat intead of the hole, they are meant to replicate breast feeding more and allow baby to variy the flow better.

- A friends baby has just been diagnosed with having oral thrush and was doing the same thing with refusing feeds. Is his tongue white at all?

Kxx
Kimberley

Offline rachmacd

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 16:10:47 pm »
Hi , my son is 8 weeks old and has just started with exactly the same behaviour when it comes to feeding time. He will only take 4oz max now(he would sometimes take 5 or so before) and that is with a lot of  coaxing.  Its really upsetting and frustrating to watch him screaming and squirming like he is in pain during the feed. He too was feeding well up until about a week ago then he started acting like this. My health visitor said she thought it was just bad wind but Infocl,  burping and changing position regularly during the feed make no difference. I was wondering about reflux as he seems to have a few similar symptoms, but he likes to lay flat as it seems to calm him ,and surely it would have started at a younger age?  All other times he seems happy and contented so i know it is a feeding related prob. If you find anything that works well can you post it as i don't really know what else to try!