Author Topic: 4month old not sleeping through night anylonger  (Read 1112 times)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
4month old not sleeping through night anylonger
« on: November 23, 2005, 21:51:00 pm »
My 4 month old started sleeping though the night when he was almost 3 months.  Went to bed at 10:30 and I would wake him up at 7:00.  We flew home for a visit at the first of the month which had a 3 hour time difference.  He adjusted really well but when we came back 12 days later he wanted to go to bed much earlier and get up 2 or 3 times though the night screaming, like I have never heard before and wanted a bottle.  As hard as I try I can't get him back on our routine.  It has been 2weeks now.  He has no problems falling asleep, he does rather well. I don't know if it is the time differance, a growth spurt, teething.  I just don't know what to do???
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:13:26 am »
My thought is if he is taking a full or almost full bottle at the night wakeups it is probably a growth spurt. Try upping the amount he takes in the day time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Macadamiaqueen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 03:37:07 am »
I had the same problem with my dd around the same time (lasted for a few weeks) and I kept feeding her thinking she was hungry but realized that she was able to spread out the feedings more during the day.  I then tried to give her the pacifier like the book says at night and it worked so I knew that it must have started as a growth spurt but ended up becoming a habit.

Then she got a little better with the pacifier but still woke up (I believe she started depending on the pacifier so calm her so she needed us to put it back in).  I am now putting her into a 4 hour easy and wheening her from the paci - using Tracy's last book which explains everything wonderfully.  At 4 months they should last about 8 hours at night after the 10-11 dream feed.  See if he takes the pacifier at night and that should give you an idea if it's a growth spurt or not.  I know growth spurts don't last more than a few days to a week so that's a hint!  Also, Tracy says in the book that once they change their naps and get on a four hour easy, their night sleep should improve (i.e. extending their naps by pu/pd and extending their activity time).

Another thing...
I read in a few books that it's best for babies to sleep around 7-8pm.  It's healthier for them and contrary to popular myth, a later bed-time does not mean a later rising because they become overtired and their waking will increase at night if that's the case.

I have done a lot of reading about baby's sleep and all of the books say the same - that sleep begets sleep.

Good luck!

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 04:09:25 am »
Thank you so much fo r your replys.  I just started reading the book actually, and am going to try to get ourselves into the easy routine.  I think he his getting himselve overtired cause I can;t get him to eat a whole lot during the day, plus he is getting pretty cranky.  Thanks for you help.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80